This topic has 40 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years by Abe.

• Author
     5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having a BIG problem with VC producing php errors and causing a random selection of pages to show up blank – only header showing (see eg as attached). When I deactivate VC the code shows (but obviously no styling) and when I reactivate it goes completely blank again. So my site has been down since Monday (4 days now) and I have tried re-uploading my backups and using my hosting providers backups too – still the problem.

This all came about when i needed to restore my home directory and db backup after some updates ‘went south’. So it should have set it back to a functioning site, but some pages are just blank!

The php error is this:

[24-Mar-2016 01:31:26 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function vc_shortcode_custom_css_has_property() in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-content/themes/kleo/vc_templates/vc_column_inner.php on line 42

When I look at my plugins/theme info I have restored to Kleo v3.1.3 and VC version is showing as v4.8.1

So I was wondering if the restore backup didn’t totally restore the VC plugin properly? So I have initially 3 questions:

1. Is this the correct version of Vc for Kleo v 3.13.?
    2. Can you give me a url for accessing previous versions of VC (and Kleo please) so i can re-upload it or upload a different version if needs be?
    3. Can you ask the VC authors about this error, or to fix it?

Many thanks – appreciate any help as I’m totally stuck with a broken site and not idea what to do next! j

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     5high-photohub
    Participant

PS: I am trying to restore back to a point when my site was working (ie: before all updates) so can not update to the latest Kleo and VC. Also it was one of the updates that caused the error.

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, please try to disable Visual composer and uninstall it and after that install the new KLEO. After the new KLEO version is in place just install the included Visual composer 4.11.1 version

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi Abe,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did as you recommended, and updated K-elements too, and the contents of the Contact page reappeared.

However on another broken page (Hub Central) although it now allows the drop down menus to work correctly it still only shows 1 of the 3 Kleo Posts Carousels – I’ve attached a screenshot of the fixed contact page and the broken Photohub Central page. Any ideas as to why this might be?

If you want t review it yourself the page ID is #12 (Photohub Central).

Thanks.

Attachments:
     5high-photohub
    Participant

@abe – have you had a chance to review this problem yet? The page is still broken and our site is in MM.

Another broken page is the individual members’ gallery pages – images not opening in Lightbox & no menu links working (but this is probably related to rtmedia needing to be updated).

Other pages using the VC post grid for pages seem to be working fine, so it just seems to be the Kleo Posts carousel that’s the problem.

Would appreciate your urgent review of this please. Thanks.

5high-photohub
    Participant

I would really appreciate some support on this issue, as I have done as requested, but the Kleo post carousel is NOT displaying when ‘pages’ are selected in the ‘build query’ section – only when it’s posts.

I’ve attached a screenshot of one of the queries that is NOT displaying (= Photo Skills pages) and the front end where it is just a blank.

Please can you get back to me urgently as I have been waiting for a week now for some help to resolve this theme related problem (with my member site having to be kept in MM too because of this issue).

Thank you.

Attachments:
     Abe
    Keymaster

Hi there, sorry for the delay. Can you activate the debugging so we can see if you have any errors?

Please follow these steps to enable wp debug:

•  Connect to your server by FTP
    • Look in root directory of your WordPress install and open wp-config.php
    • Search for define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, false ); and change FALSE value to TRUE
    COPY CODE
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

•   After this line add this:
    COPY CODE
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

WP_DEBUG_LOG is a companion to WP_DEBUG that causes all errors to also be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory. This is useful if you want to review all notices later or need to view notices generated off-screen (e.g. during an AJAX request or wp-cron run).

Repeat the described actions and then check the debug.log file and let me know what error appears.

Cheers

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

5high-photohub
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     5high-photohub
    Participant

@abe – any thoughts? I’ve also tried saving the problem page as a template and testing it in a new page, but the same problem. Also happy for you to log into our site to test for yourself – it remains in MM and the file quarantine setting is OFF in our security plugin so that won’t effect any tests you do.
    Thanks.

Abe
    Keymaster

OK so I have logged in but I don’t see the problem. On what page you have issues?

---

Abe
    Keymaster

I just did a local test and the pages carousel appears. See the attachment. Please disable plugins that are not recommended by our theme and also make sure Kleo theme is the latest version as well as K-elements and VIsual composer plugins

---

5high-photohub
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     5high-photohub
    Participant

OK, I have had another fiddle with different ideas, including testing in a new page, and when I changed the query for the Kleo Post carousel, for PAGES, to entering the actual page names/titles it works! But it didn’t work at all (totally blank) if it was built using the tags options – even in another test page.

So… This has temporarily fixed the issue I have with this particular feature BUT it has not fixed the underlying problem of some new conflict with the Kleo post carousel now not recognising page tags.

I will now re-update everything that i did 12 days ago, before this happened, and will let you know if I find any other conflicts.

Abe
    Keymaster

I can see your carousel in that page. See the attach. I don’t know if you can use tags in the pages query since posts have tags

---

Attachments:
     5high-photohub
    Participant

Oh, but it’s worked with tags for our pages since we launched in April 2015!
    The tags for pages comes from the Tags for Pages plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tag-pages/ and as it shows as an option in the Kleo posts carousel build query section, even when pages are selected, then I assumed it was supported. Usually if an option isn’t supported when you select something (ie. pages instead of posts) then it becomes greyed out, or disappears. Also it doesn’t say tags are only for posts, and for pages you have to use page titles, as the carousel supports both. Can you clarify this?
    Thanks.

Abe
    Keymaster

I tested with your suggested plugin and my page shows in the carousel. What I was saying was that wordpress by default does not add tags functionality to pages and they were intended for posts.

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Yes, I realise that! But odd that the page tags work for you still…

OK, so the other area that is broken since the update-reinstall of backup-reinstall of fresh visual composer etc is still the rtmedia lightbox in members and group gallery – images won’t open in the Lightbox, and nothing happens when you click ‘edit’ on an image and very weirdly ALL menu links don’t work on onlt these particular pages.

I have submitted a support ticket to rtmedia and they have come back with this:

We checked your site and found that there are JavaScript errors [ Cannot read property ‘parsed’ of undefined ] getting generated from kleo theme.
    Please check attached screen-shot for more details.

I attache their screenshot FYI, and have asked them to look specifically at the lightbox issue.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks

Attachments:
     Abe
    Keymaster

I see you have an error in the JS but that do not happen here. I will say again to disable plugins and custom codes before doing tests and blaming it on the theme

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Not trying to blame it on the theme as I love it – and have purchased it twice so far! – just trying to fix the problems since updating.

I’ve had a series of issues since last updating, with the first one causing all blank pages (as mentioned originally) which resolved when I did as you suggested and did a clean install of VC… which then disclosed the other probs:-
    1. pages not showing in the Kleo post carousel (using tags) – still not working for me, but resolved by using the page titles instead
    2. no image popups or edit features eyc with rtmedia images + broken page links on the rtmedia gallery specific pages – contacted rtmedia who provided the info above.

I have repeated my tests with only the essential plugins enabled for the members’ and groups’ gallery pages to work, and the problem remains. The php error shown on these pages is this:-

COPY CODE
    Timestamp: 7/04/2016 9:01:46 a.m.
    Error: TypeError: b is undefined
    Source File: https://www.mtsite.com/wp-content/themes/kleo/assets/js/plugins/magnific-popup/magnific.min.js       
    Line: 3

I have also retested the same pages/functions with the Twenty-Fifteen WP theme activated and all my plugins active… and the lightbox and edit function for the images works correctly and all menu links work fine!

rtmedia are reviewing all Kleo files to see if they can resolve the issue, but it does seem to point to a theme related issue, don’t you think?

Please can you look into this? specifically the error related to /kleo/assets/js/plugins/magnific-popup/magnific.min.js

I look forward to your thoughts on it.

Abe
    Keymaster

That is really strange. Can you just re-upload that file on your server since it could be incomplete?

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Just re-uploaded that specific file, cleared cache and retested = no change, same error showing. Pity, I thought it might be an easy fix!

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Abe
    Keymaster

Do you use cloudflare or any other cdn? Try to disable them.

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

No, no cdn/cloudflare, normal shared hosting environment on php v5.6. Please let me know if you need any other info about my server settings, though it seems unlikely to be the problem as it worked OK with the WP 2015 theme and all plugins still active.

5high-photohub
    Participant

@ abe – rtmedia support have kindly checked through the Kleo theme files to see if they could see anything that might be causing the php error and causing the specific pages to break/not work, and they have come back with this info:

Thanks for the files. We have checked it by installing it at our end and found following details.

There are some Jquery errors which are breaking the page, Please check attached screen-shot for the details.

Error Message :

Uncaught Error: Syntax error, unrecognized expression: .kleo-main-header .nav > li a[href=#undefined]

We found below error-prone code which can cause this Jquery issue :

COPY CODE
    /* Get link by section or article id */
        getRelatedNavigation: function(el){
            return $('.kleo-main-header .nav > li a[href=#'+$(el).attr('id')+']');
        },

According to us, the value $(el).attr('id') is not getting returned and hence it is throwing undefined error.

I’ve attached their screenshot FYI.

I’ve had a look to try to find the href=#undefined menu link that’s causing the problem (at least I think that’s partly what they’re saying is the problem?…) and there quite are a few of them, but this also includes one in the rtmedia image when you hover over it, in the DELETE button. So I have passed this back to them just to double check – though I think they’re saying there’s an issue in the actual coding rather than the href=#undefined itself being the problem…

If you could look at this with some urgency it would be greatly appreciated, as our site is still closed to our members until this is resolved (now just over 2 weeks). And I guess if it can’t be resolved we’ll have to look at an alternative theme in order to reopen, though i really, really don’t want to do this, as we love the theme, and all of it’s styling and gizmos!

many thanks, j

Many thanks

Attachments:
     5high-photohub
    Participant

UPDATE: Have just heard back from rtmedia re. their href# in their DELETE button, and is as follows:

These errors could be the one cause of issue. We are not sure but rtMedia should not cause such issue as it is working fine with other WordPress themes and also with different versions of kleo theme.
    We will again check once this error has been fixed though.

Thanks.

Abe
    Keymaster

Try to replace the two files from the archive attached. files are located on your server inside the theme at assets/js/

See if the errors still occurs.

---

Attachments:
     5high-photohub
    Participant

Abe – replaced and no change – pages and menu links not working and same errors:
    Timestamp: 12/04/2016 8:42:48 a.m.
    Error: TypeError: b is undefined
    Source File: https://www.mysite.com/wp-content/themes/kleo/assets/js/plugins/magnific-popup/magnific.min.js
    Line: 3
    getting desperate… any other ideas/fixes?

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, please do a different install with the recommended plugins since I cannot reproduce your error anywhere. I am sure it comes from some custom change you did. Please do that test and see how it goes

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi Abe,

I asked rtmedia to recheck it from their end and they said that the new files worked and didn’t reproduce the error.

So I have:
    1. removed a small amount of custom code in rtmedia
    2. switched to Kleo theme (not my child theme)
    3. deleted the app.js and app.min.js files and re-uploaded
    4. re-uploaded a fresh /kleo/assets/js/plugins/magnific-popup/magnific.min.js file (just in case)
    5. deactivated all plugins except for a few which I’m guessing most people use (Akismet; BP; BP Cover Photo; Contact Form 7; K Elements; rtmedia for BP; rtmedia addons (x 7); VC; Yoast SEO)

( NB: am not using the Rev slider on this site so not installed anyway – could that be required???)

and on retesting the same problem!

So yes, I’ll do a fresh install and retest, but can’t see where to look for the problem. Being in MM couldn’t effect it could it??

In the meantime, I’ll have to open our site ‘as is’, and keep trying to work it out.

Please let me know if you have any further ideas?

Thanks, j

Abe
    Keymaster

Revslider is not required. It must be something on that install but I can’t tell why since it should not happen. Maybe you have a different jquery loaded .. I can’t tell. Try to do the test with a fresh install

Cheers

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Thanks Abe – will test and update here.
    But not quite sure what you mean by this:

Maybe you have a different jquery loaded ..

Can you clarify, so I can check?
    Thnx.

Abe
    Keymaster

I meant if you have some plugins that alter the default WordPress jQuery. It was just a thought but if that is not the case proceed with those tests

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

@ Abe – Ok i have my test site up and running and all works Ok.

As my live site works correctly with the WP 2015 theme but breaks with the Kleo theme, I’m wondering if there was a faulty update in the Kleo theme as well as the VC?

So what I’d like to do is to reinstall the Kleo theme.

So I have a few questions about this first:
    1. If I update to the latest version, does that rewrite all the files, so will correct a faulty install? Or only overwrite the ones with changes?
    2. if it doesn’t overwrite all files, what is the procedure to reinstall? Is it as per the Docs in ‘Manually update theme by FTP’? Or does this still keep some of the original Kleo files, as it does keep the theme settings doesn’t it?
    3. OR do you think it would be better to just reinstall my current version of Kleo to try to sort out this problem, before updating to the current version (as i won’t have updated to WP 4.5 or all my other plugins yet either)?

And finally for your recommended options from above, what’s the best way to keep my theme settings , if possible, or should I completely uninstall everything and start from scratch again?

Thanks and hoping to finally resolve this problem…

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, try over FTP to rename current theme folder and upload the new one, this way you will have a fresh theme folder with all files rewritten.

Let me know how it went

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

@ Abe – well a very disappointing end to the day…

On my live TEST site I trialled reinstalling Kleo, rtmedia and BP and all good with everything still working perfectly. Then I tested with all updates for WP, Kleo and plugins – again all fine.

Next on my LIVe site:
    1. I reinstalled Kleo; then rtmedia for WP and BP; then BP too – all by FTP as with my test site. Result? No change.
    2. Updated to WP 4.5.1 and to latest Kleo and all plugins. Result? No change.
    3. and throughout this process I’ve been testing with and without plugins deactivated – still no change.
    4. tested the site using the default WP 2015 theme, both before and after all the updates etc. result? Problem Fixed!

As I can’t fix it, and it was off-line for quite a while with this, I’m going to have to take it out of MM now, even though certain areas of the site still don’t work: namely the members gallery page and the groups gallery page, where the images don’t open in the pop-up and you can’t edit them or comment on them. Also ALL menu links on these ‘pages’ still don’t work at all, and the rtmedia sidebar widget for showing latest media in the site doesn’t work at all anywhere on the site either.

So I’m now at a total loss as to how to get my site fully functional again, and would really appreciate it if you could look at it, as it definitely seems to be something related to the theme, and I’ve done everything i can think of and what’s been suggested for me to try.

many thanks, j

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, I don’t know what to say about your issues, now I don’t even know what the problem was 🙂

Try to do a clean install or update all plugins since I don’t have any problem on my test sites….

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi Abe,

Reminder: The remaining problem (after the site reappeared after re-installing VC plugin…) is images don’t open in the rtmedia pop-up in all members galleries and in the galleries for all groups. Also all menu links are broken on these ‘pages’. And nothing gets updated in the Buddypress site Activity steam – only in the individual groups activity page.

OK, I’ve just compared ALL Kleo theme files and folders on my live site with my (correctly working) live TEST site using ‘Beyond Compare’ and shell access to my server. It shows that there’s no difference! yet one works and the other doesn’t! So totally stumped as to why it all occurred.

So I think the only option is to do a clean WP install, either on a different server or in a sub-folder, with clean installs of Kleo and all plugins.

Please can you confirm the files/folders/databases I’d need to ensure that I retain ALL my content, including my members images, comments, membership etc? I’m thinking I’d export my current database to my new install, and export all blogs, pages, categories, tags and media etc using the WP export tool, then import it into the new install…

So can you advise me on the following?-
    1. Would the above method retain all my current content?
    2. Which Import tool would you recommend using for importing all my content to the new install?
    3. Do I need to copy over my wp-contents/uploads folder contents too?
    4. Is the correct order of install: new WP – theme – plugins – database – importer tool for content and media? OR Import database – then new WP and link it to my imported database – theme – plugins – importer tool for content and media?

I realise this is not strictly ‘theme related’, though it sort of is as my site doesn’t work as expected with the theme, even after a reinstall of it – but any advice would be much appreciated to try to resolve this problem.

Many thanks.

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, maybe try asking rtmedia guys before doing the reinstall, maybe they know some trick. Also if you switch to a default WP theme does it work?

I recommend doing a database dump from your cpanel and saving all your files before doing any changes.
    Probably a content import/export won’t work since you are installing it in the same place. If you will do the install in another location your logic should work

---

5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi Abe,
    Yes, my live site works as expected when I switch to a default WP theme. It only breaks with the Kleo theme enabled.
    That’s why it seems to be theme related rather than anything else.

5high-photohub
    Participant

@abe – update on my website nightmare!

As I think there must have been some coding errors somewhere in the old site, even though I couldn’t track them down, I didn’t want to risk importing them into my new site by doing a standard site migration. So I have done a very lengthy re-install using content from my old site, imported to a clean install of WP, Kleo and all plugins on a shiny new server.

Outcome: old site running much faster on new server and no glitches now. Phew! So I think there must have been some glitch in a Kleo file somewhere, as it worked OK with the default WP theme, but I just couldn’t locate it.

Just goes to show what problems can be caused by faulty updates or installs.

So this ticket can be closed now. Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘visual composer causing php errors and blank pages – help!’ is closed to new replies.

Forgot your details?