This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years by Radu.

• Author
     sbraiden
    Participant

I absolutely love this theme.  You’ve done a terrific job with it.  I’m running into a problem with pages throwing 404 errors if they are a child to any other page.  I went into settings to see if anything had changed with permalinks.  It had not.  It was still set to point to the name page.  I saved it again on the off-chance something hiccoughed during installation and then cleared both the Varnish cache on my managed WordPress server installation and also the browser cache itself.  The problem persists.

I’ve also tried turning other plugins off, and this does not seem to resolve the issue.  The only way to correct it is to make every page a parent page, not a child.  When I remove that dependency, the problem goes away.

This has also started to generate Paypal errors, which is a bigger problem than just a nuisance.  I’ve gone through your knowledge base and the only thing I see related to this is someone reporting the same problem with their BuddyPress forums pages, and the solution is one I’ve already tried:  resaving the permalinks settings.

Scratching my head and not sure what to try next.  Hoping you might be able to help me shed a little light on this?

Thanks so very much!

Sue Braiden.

Laura

Hello, will assign the ticket to a higher support level who can help and advise you in your query.
    Thanks! ?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

Radu

Hi,

Just tell me if you are encounter the same if de-activate only the child theme then you re-save the permalinks from wp-admin -> settings -> permalinks -> save changes.

If it’s the same go to wp-admin -> themes -> twenty seventeen or any default wp theme then you re-save the permalinks from wp-admin -> settings -> permalinks -> save changes.

Let me know you you still encounter the same.

If yes switch all plugins OFF and check again, if the issue goes away enable plugins back one by one until you find the plugin with the issue.

Cheers
    R

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Ticket solution
     sbraiden
    Participant

Thanks, Laura, for escalating the ticket, and thanks, Radu, for the troubleshooting steps.

Changing the theme and resaving the permalink settings didn’t make any difference at all, but shutting off the BuddyPress plugin itself corrected the issue. While I had shut off all the other plugins before to eliminate the possibility of conflicts, that is the one plugin I left on because it’s the base of the install and has been working fine on this site for years, including with the pages that are now broken.

I’m kind of left scratching my head, because I can have virtually every single other plugin turned off, except for BuddyPress, and it breaks the content. Just that one plugin, running alone.

Not sure if perhaps some database corruption occurred when I imported the demo content. I brought the BuddyApp theme and demo content into an existing site. Everything works great, except for this problem of child pages throwing 404s.

I’m going to have to think about this a bit, because I’m not sure where to go next. Perhaps I should delete the BuddyPress plugin itself and install that fresh. Going to give that a try in the morning when I have a fresh head, and will report back.

Thanks again for your assistance!
    Sue.

Radu

Hi,

Myabe you had solved, tried to reproduce that on your install and i cannot see any issue : http://estrogenarmy.com/parent/child/

Maybe it was something from cache, after you create any new page or subpage delete the cache.

Cheers
    R.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Ticket solution
     sbraiden
    Participant

Hi, Radu! I actually came back to tuck a note in to let you know that this has resolved. I think it was a combination of things. While I had done both a browser cache clearing on all 4 browsers I tried this on (both in settings to purge the cache and a hard cache clear through keys) and also a server cache clearing (with Varnish), and restarted both the browser and computer several times, the problem persisted for another 24 hours. For whatever reason the next day the issue was in fact resolved. I’m not sure what to attribute this to, as I had turned off every single plugin, and this retriggered the moment I turned BuddyPress back on. This behaviour is no longer happening, so I am wondering if there is another level of caching that was occurring elsewhere, or if perhaps clearing my Varnish cache was failing.

Thanks so very much for your suggestions and assistance. I’ve worked with a lot of themes over the years and have to say this is by far my favourite. The GUI is super-intuitive; the demo content made it really easy to step through reproducing the look and feel; the plugin choices that are integrated with the demo are really useful; and the mobile-first approach is perfect.

Some of the best money I’ve spent on anything WordPress.

Sue.

Radu

Hi,

I see, have a great week.

Cheers
    R.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Bugs & Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?