This topic has 24 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years by 5high-photohub.

• Author
     rasmusberg
    Participant

Hi SventhQueen

First of all I would like to thank you for your support until now and for a great theme!

In the months that I’ve been using your theme I have had problems with incredible slow load time. 5-15 seconds every time and it gets slower for every post, page and image I add.

I have tried WP Super Cache and W3 Total Cache and some other speed increasing plugins. I have tried all the variables of settings within these two plugins, none of it works.

As I’ve said, at best the load time is around 5 seconds.

My php memery limit is 180 mb and I have 8 other websites with the same host on dedicated servers, so we can rule out the host. All the other sites I have load really fast.

I really hope you have a solution for this as I can see others have the same problem.

I really want to point out that I love the theme and I thinks its excellent coded. But the load time is getting slower and slower and makes my site unusable.

Could you perhaps make the setup for W3 Total Cache available as it is the best plugin for caching websites as far as I know.

Catalin

Hi there,
    You should setup W3 Total cache without the JS and CSS minify that could cause troubles, in rest you can enable other caching modules. I don’t think it is something from the theme but adding plugins always results in increased loading times.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     rasmusberg
    Participant

JS and CSS minify is disabled.

I have 19 plugins activated, none of which cause any problems on my other sites.

I only have this problem with this theme.

Catalin

What is your site to take a look. I hope you are referring at server response time since the whole page loading time has lots of more variables like content inside it and other requests to external sites

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     rasmusberg
    Participant

http://www.frivilje.dk

I’m only referring to the time it takes from entering url to the whole page is loaded.

The slow loading time is a problem for both pages with text only and pages with blogposts and images.

Abe
    Keymaster

Server processing time is really slow and you get a server response around 100ms which is more than OK.

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     rasmusberg
    Participant

I dont understand? Server processing time is slow but my response is ok?

When I load the page with Safari, Firefox and Chrome it takes around 10 secs before the page is fully loaded. I have disabled a lot of plugins and set W3 up accordingly.

Abe
    Keymaster

I said “server response around 100ms which is more than OK” and your pages load really fast

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

rasmusberg
    Participant

Yeah it looks like it, but the final parts of the page isnt loaded before after 10 secs. That is when the page is loaded for the first time and does not have browser history stored on the computer.

The “X” in Safari becomes a “Reload-sign” after around 10 secs in that case…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     rasmusberg
    Participant

Nevermind. I don’t want to spend any more time on this subject 🙂 Thank you for your answers and support!

Abe
    Keymaster

@rasmusberg if the page has loaded but still showing the loading sign then it is probably waiting for an external script to load..

---

rasmusberg
    Participant

Hmm okay. Dont know what that script could be. I have tried disableing most of the plugins to see what was wrong.

5high-photohub
    Participant

@rasmusberg – I’m having similar issues with very slow page load times, and am working through various things. And I’ve just had a HUGE improvement by removing the query strings – you can see the thread here: https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-sovle-this-query-issues-due-to-the-stings-with if you’re interested.

If you find any great solutions please consider posting them as I’m sure there are heaps of other Kleo users who’d appreciate it! Thanks.

zafari
    Participant

@5high-photohub aand @rasmusberg – did you find a comprehensive resolution to the loading time issue? My page load times were tolerable thanks the query string removal suggestion, UNTIL I upgraded to version 3.0.1 and things started crawling again. I already have caching plugins, image optimizers, etc but it is not acceptable yet. Any ideas?

5high-photohub
    Participant

@zafari – well, I’ve totally scrambled my brain by trying to work out all the possible options!

What I’ve worked through is this:
    1. added the code to remove query strings (as mentioned above), though I’ve since learnt that this only usually shaves a few ms off load times;
    2. ensured I have only the absolute necessary plugins i need, and delete all others (including themes)
    3. ensured we were only using the minimum of special Google fonts (x2 sets), downloaded them + the necessary css and trialed self hosting them – to stop a page from having to get them from another server/source. But being on shared hosting it was actually slower than coming from Google, so i reverted back! See my thread here: https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/improve-page-load-times-with-google-fonts
    4. have had lots of discussions with my hosting company who have double checked my php memory etc, increased some of our available resources, got them to enable ‘Keep Alive’ and GZip’ on at the server level (search on Google gives some interesting reading for these);
    5. got some great advice on the BPS Pro (Bullet Proof Security) forum, which included adding the correct redirect code to my .htaccess file for http to https and non-www to www redirects, which improved it heaps! you can read the info here; http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/remove-query-strings-from-static-resources/
    6. also from this topic I trialled different caching plugins and found after loads of testing that Zen Cache was better for me than Hyper cache (installation info with BPS is here: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/zen-cache-setup-with-bps-pro/) and I now use Zen Cache pro as it enables me to cache for our logged in members, and works well with s2member of course!
    7. added some of the extra speed up code recommended via Zen Cache to the Speed Boost custom code already added in BPS .htaccess custom code;
    8. After I’d manually optimised my databases I installed the WP Optimise plugin as this was going to be easier for ongoing management for me;
    9. decided against WP SmushIt plugin as it was going to be tricky to install with BPS (for me anyway) – though i might have to revisit this at some point;
    10. am now trialing ‘html compression’ in my Zen Cache settings, which will condense the css and js scripts in the header etc – a big issue for Buddypress i think.
    11. also already have the gzip/compression code (‘deflate’ thingy) in my htaccess via BPS plugin.
    12. am reviewing the plugin load time/resource useage of rtmedia for Buddypress plugin, as it seems to take heaps longer than any other – still under review!

Zen Cache definitely helped heaps – but then I’d done all my testing without a caching plugin to try to optimize everything first. It’s hard on a shared server, but the site is new and our membership is still small so no other option as yet. However our hosting people did say that they could swop us to a different server with fewer sites on which might improve things? Don’t quite understand how that works, but you never know… so that’s still a future option!

Sorry it’s long-winded but hope some of it helps?

Cheers.

rasmusberg
    Participant

@zafari – I did a lot of thing to speed up the site, but increasing the use of memory did the trick.

I pasted “define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘128M’);” in wp-config

Do you know har much memory your host have dedicated to you?

rasmusberg
    Participant

@5high-photohub Thank you! I’ll try that…

5high-photohub
    Participant

You’re welcome – it’s always a bonus to find some good info in the forums!

Our host gave us 512M – they obviously got fed up of me! and we also set max_upload and max_ post size to 512M. I have access to all settings in my wp-config.php and .php.ini file but they needed to ensure the server config matched my settings.

I’ve just done a final tweak of the Zen Cache Pro settings today: I disabled their ‘Auto-cache Engine’ as I was concerned about using up too much of our resources and the site seemed to have slowed down, and i enabled the Trial component ‘HTML Compression’ for everything. It’s made a BIGdifferent as it’s compressed the BP and extra plugins js and css into much fewer files; now only 17 files to load rather than 64! VERY pleased!

If you have any other ideas pleas share 🙂 Thanks.

rasmusberg
    Participant

512 sounds really good!

I dont have any suggestions actually. I have been following the tweak tips when running my site through http://gtmetrix.com

zafari
    Participant

Thank you SO much for the ‘long-winded’ response, @5high-photohub!! I really appreciate your taking the time to provide so much detail – lots to try here! I hope SeventhQueen can take a cue from you in providing support on this loading time issue! 🙂 Best to you…..

zafari
    Participant

@rasmusberg thanks for the memory limit trick! I do not yet know what my server imposes but I will check into it and give this a try!

rasmusberg
    Participant

@zafari You’re welcome. Thank you too for your tricks 😉

zafari
    Participant

@5high-photohub I’m assuming you tried WP-SuperCache and determined that Zen Cache works better?

zafari
    Participant

@rasmusberg my server was set to 128M so I bumped it to 512M in .htaccess (doing it in wp-config did nothing) and I have seen a noticeable improvement. It’s still not enough, but it shaved off a few seconds for sure. 🙂

5high-photohub
    Participant

@zafari – I’d tried W3 TC on another site but had issues with setting it up with BPS – my fault not theirs. Also do read the info in the link i added above as there was a really useful rview of all the main caching plugins + it reinfirces that there’s not a ‘best one’ just the best one for your individual setup with your site and server, so you have to test!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?