This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years by clickafy.

• Author
     clickafy
    Participant

I host with WPEngine… I’ve got your KLEO theme…

My server has been going BONKERS since about Friday with 502 errors. I understand the issue is because of a rogue Envato API.

Now I’m guessing most of us bought the theme through Envato. I did.

My site is essentially 502-dead at the moment… both in user and admin modes. WP engine posted the following notice:

“Themeforest Theme 502 Errors
    Posted July 6th, 2015 by WP Engine & filed under WP Platform.

Incident is Active
    We’ve noticed an influx of 502 errors on our platform that appear to be related to themes utilizing the Envato API. This includes most themes purchased through themeforest. API calls from those themes to the Envato API are timing out, which is causing the 502 errors many of our customers are experiencing.

We’re in contact with Envato concerning this issue, but at this time 502 errors may still be an issue for any WordPress site utilizing a themeforest theme.”

1) I want to know if I can permanently BREAK what ever linkage is to the API call with Themeforest. I find it unacceptable that those clowns tweak some code and break literally thousands of sites… regardless of whatever theme they’re on… are essentially dead websites walking…

2) If it means I have to do manual updates through downloading the KLEO theme… fine, I can deal with that. What I can’t deal with is this nonsense that Envato is like “whatever we’re like looking at it… we’ll tell ya soon!” (I looked a their forum page)… and my site is down… I didn’t sign on to have Envato dink with my site at will …

To be blunt – I bought a theme from you guys – and honestly I like the theme… I like what you guys are doing. I like the support. I like you guys. I was happy to pay the money. But I’m really concerned that some code monkey at Envato dinks something -and now my site is railroaded. I’m trying to ultimately run a business off this theme… and I need something that isn’t going to be railroaded because some code monkey on another server boinks an API code causing any server connected to it to fail.

I’m hoping you get that… I know you’re just theme authors… and Envato is a great way to sell things. But this is really unacceptable. I want to limit my exposure to any further “Envato Improvements” that wind up making my site BROKEN.

So how do I break whatever connection to Envato that is causing the timeout so I can get control.. and what does 7th Queen intend to do about this…

This article may interest you – https://gist.github.com/octalmage/7734b4905f45b9aa9da9

I’m against putting temp code into my site… but if that’s what needs to happen… so be it. You guys might want to read this as well – http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/introducing-the-new-envato-api/176182?page=22

I’m anxious to hear what you guys intend to do.

clickafy
    Participant

Nevermind – I just found the other thread…

I’m going to download the latest version manually and see if that kills the 502 timeouts…

I’d still like to know how to permanently break the link to Envato… it’s seriously a problem in my view.

Bryan

sharmstr

There is a sticky topic plus and alert about this in the upper right hand corner of this forum. Update Kleo to 3.0.4.

You are not required to do auto updates. You will receive an email when Kleo updates with a link to download. Then you can FTP it to your server. https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/steps-to-update-kleo-theme

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

clickafy
    Participant

I just downloaded the KLEO file from Themeforest. It looks like it’s updated through this morning… is that correct?

sharmstr

it was released about 12 hours ago I guess.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

clickafy
    Participant

I just did the update… it seems stable… thanks.

if I remove the API key from the KLEO Admin area regarding “Theme Forest Settings” – does that permanently break any reliance on the API from Envato? Or is that just basically hardwired…

I really don’t want this to happen again. I can handle theme development problems… but Envato crashing thousands of sites … yeah – not so keen on that.

sharmstr

IDK. @abe – can you answer this?
    “if I remove the API key from the KLEO Admin area regarding “Theme Forest Settings” – does that permanently break any reliance on the API from Envato? Or is that just basically hardwired…”

Abe
    Keymaster

Removing the API KEY will just disable theme update check so you won’t be able to do automatic updates and also removes that check for new versions.

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

clickafy
    Participant

Ok… let me make the question more transparent…

1) Does the fix you’ve implemented keep this from happening again…

2) If the answer to #1 is no… what does that fix look like?

Thanks.

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi @clickafy
    1. Yes, an extra check in case of an error was added to prevent this
    2. not the case

Cheers

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

clickafy
    Participant

Thanks for the reply… 🙂

I put the keys back in…

B

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘502 Errors – Envato API’ is closed to new replies.

Forgot your details?