This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years by Abe.

• Author
     joninhas
    Participant

What is the best seo plugin to work with this theme / buddypress?

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    We are using on our demo the All In One SEO Pack plugin which seems to be doing a pretty good job

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     joninhas
    Participant

I am trying yoast but denoting some problems… i will give a try to all in one and then make a comparation review

hughm
    Participant

I have tried the Yoast SEO plugin and the All In One SEO Pack plugin. I was unable to add SEO to individual groups on my site using either one of these options. I was only able to add SEO to the main Groups page.
    I have 15 different groups on my site and would like to add SEO to each one. Do you know how to achieve this?

Abe
    Keymaster

We don’t know a plugin for that, sorry

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

hughm
    Participant

I am using the All in One SEO Pack to add SEO to my site pages. This plugin works well on all pages except my home page. On the home page the title will not show up. Does it have something to do with the fact that the content for this page is:

[kleo_section bg=”http://uberon.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/gray_pattern.gif” centered=1 border=1][/kleo_section]

Any ideas on a fix for this so I can put SEO on the very important Home page. Thanks a lot.

Here is the link: http://www.uberon.net

csme
    Participant

SEO is probably an area where i can help people on here more than any other – it is my full time job and i have ranked thousands of websites including dating / social media websites.

I am not familiar with the all in one SEO plugin (i always use and recommend Yoast) nor have i seo’d my own sweetdate site as it is still in development stage and i don’t implement SEO until last stage. But i’ll try to help.

Hughem – go to wordpress admin > appearance > customize > site title and tag

From here is where you should be able to update any wordpress homepage title. So in your case, without knowing much about your site or keywords, you might put the title as Cosplay Community and your tagline as worlds best costume social network – uberon.net

Resulting in a full titles of:
    Cosplay Community | Worlds Best Costume Social Network – uberon.net

If this does not update your homepage title tag then it means whatever SEO plugin you use is overiding it. Go your SEO plugin settings in WP admin and look for either a homepage or titles option and there should be a ‘homepage title’ option somewhere form where you can implement your own.

Now if this all fails it may because you are using a static homepage (which sweetdate is by default i believe or by at least setting it up as per demo) in which case you need to go to wp admin > pages and edit the page that populates your homepage. By default in sweetdate this will be the ‘Home’ page and add in your title and other seo using your seo plugin on the edit screen.

Hope your solution is in there.

Now for the groups problem. Whenever someone creates a group or say whenever you create a unique member directory (e.g. cartoon character costumes) buddypress will create a new URL under it’s parent. eg uberon.net/groups/cartoon-characters or uberon.net/members/cartoon-characters

so the pages exist, they work fine, but whenever you try to edit them you are directed in admin to the parent page of groups or members. To get around this go to wp admin and add a new page. Title your page as the group or member type name again in this example it would be ‘Cartoon Characters’. Ensure wordpress as set the URL as uberon.net/cartoon-characters then go to the parent page option and select groups as it’s parent page.

That’s all, then publish this page. It won’t overide the existing page that buddypress has created, it will instead now give you admin access to seo that individual buddypress page in your wp admin pages area. So go back and seo it how you like.

This works for any pages buddypress creates under an existing parent page. Hope this all makes sense and helps.

csme
    Participant

Oh i almost forgot, you must use the code found here

http://buddydev.com/buddypress/making-wordpress-seo-plugin-compatible-with-buddypress-part-2/

to enable wordpress seo plugins to override the buddypress auto seo.

hughm
    Participant

Awesome! Thank you very much for all of this information. I will work on it tonight and tomorrow and post feedback. Just one note, I did try Yoast and found it to slow down my site considerably. This looks like a common problem with Buddypress. There were a few posts on the Yoast support forum to the same effect. The All in One SEO plugin does not slow down the site so I have been trying to use this plugin instead per recommendation from SweetDate admin.

csme
    Participant
     hughm
    Participant

Thanks again for your help. I tested out the above directions and it worked well with the All in One SEO Plugin. I was a little overwhelmed with the WordPress SEO code changes so I decided to keep it simple.
    1. I changed the title for the homepage by following wordpress admin > appearance > customize > site title and tag. I put in my domain “uberon.net” in the title and my homepage title in the Tag field. The Title here gets appended to all subsequent pages.
    Note: You were correct, there is a setting in the All in One SEO > General Settings to set the home page title and description etc. So this is also an option.
    2. I then filled in SEO for all of my pages.
    3. I added group pages by creating a group page with the same name as my group (Abide) and making it a child page of Groups. I then added SEO and it worked.

Unfortunately Google indexed my site this morning for the first time and the testimonial from my home-page showed up in the description. I just allowed search engines to index a few days ago. So I will wait and see if the SEO ends up showing correctly on Google.

Thanks again for the great SEO help!

csme
    Participant

Glad to help and thanks for the mini review on the all in one SEO plugin, i shall break with yoast to try this plugin on my sweetdate site.

Cheers!

ututorco
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Just reading through and wondering how you got on?

Thanks
    uTutorco

Abe
    Keymaster

@ututorco check your email since we get Delivery failure reports to the emails sent. I guess your email is full

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Sweetdate – WordPress’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?