This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years by Radu.

• Author
     koenhurtekant
    Participant

I have an issue with user registration through buddypress. When someone fills out the ‘register’ page, normally when he submits the page, then another text should appear saying that the user should click on a link that is sent to them by e-mail. Clicking this link will then activate this user and he will be able to log in.

However, what happens here is that the user fills out the ‘register’ page, and then after submitting, he sees a blank page. As it turns out, the user is already registered at this point, something I can see from the back-end (he is not to be seen in the ‘pending’ users, but in ‘active’ users). This is obviously very confusing for any user that is trying to register and would be a very weak welcome to the website.

I have deactivated all plugins except for buddypress and the problem remains.

If I change the theme to a standard twenty-something, it all works fine, as described in the first paragraph. Hence I would conclude it is a theme-related bug.

Now I might be mistaken, but I would think it has something to do with the ‘facebook-registration’ options? If I enable this, logging in through facebook works fine. Registering through facebook as well. Disabling this option doesn’t help, but it is the only thing I can see interfering with the buddypress registration process.

Laura

Hello, do you see the activate message or just all blank? Maybe deactivating the activation and redirecting the user would work. What would you like?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

koenhurtekant
    Participant

There’s a blank screen after the user has filled out his registration details and has clicked on submit. The ‘activation’ page never appears. So the user has no idea whether his registration worked, from the blank screen it would be suspected that he will think it did not. No e-mail is sent either. The user is automatically fully registered and he can already log in with the username and password he chose.

But the process of ‘activation’ I’d rather not skip as it makes sure that the user has a valid e-mail address where he can be contacted. I’m unsure whether I would like to skip it for registration through facebook, however I think we could safely assume that the e-mail address supplied there will be valid, so it’s a probable ‘yes’ to that question.

I’ve tried the facebook registration as well to see whether there is also an issue. If I enable the following:
    -‘enable facebook login’
    -‘enable registration via facebook’
    Then I have the following two options:
    -the login popup shows ‘login in through facebook’ and if you click on it it works fine, both for first time users that have never registered and for those that have registered before, the redirect after registration this way also works fine.
    -there’s also an extra option on the buddypress registration page. This has the same behavious as the usual buddypress registration which doesn’t work as expected currently. You click on it, you get registered, but nothing happens to the casual viewer , no blank page here, but also no redirect. The same page remains there, so as a regular user, you’d expect the registration to have failed.

If I disable the ‘enable registration via facebook’, then at the registration page, the facebook option is gone, as it should be, and at the login screen the option is still there to log in, but when you click on it, you get a message that ‘facebook registration is not possible, pls use the registration page’, which is perfectly as it should be.

I really would like to have the registration work as it should in fact (and I think most people would agree with me). But if it would need some extra time to fix it (maybe in a next update) than I would be glad to use a ‘no activate, redirect’ solution in the meantime, although I have no idea how to accomplish this myself.

I do wonder whether I’m the only one with this problem, as I’ve not seen any previous reports of it in the forum and it seems like a basic feature when running a buddypress site?

Best regards,
    koen hurtekant

Laura

Hello, i will be happy to help you with this issue, i need to check everything to see why the activation page is not working, can you share ftp access? I have the wp access already at your first post.

Let me know 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

koenhurtekant
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     Laura

Hello, will assign the ticket to a higher support level who can help and advise you in your query.
    Thanks! ?

Radu

Hi,

I see, tried to take a closer look at the register page issue but even i enable ” Anyone can register” option in wp-admin -> settings -> general , when i try to see the register page it says ‘User registration is currently not allowed.” after i’ve cleared the cache, to can move further with the debugging procedure it will be needed to de-activate all plugins and child theme.
    Let me know if it’s ok to do that.

Cheers
    R.

koenhurtekant
    Participant

Hello

That’s fine. I’ve already disabled and deleted the caching plugin. Deactivating all plugins and child theme is ok.

Thanks,
    Koen

Radu

Hi,

I was able to register normally without seeing the white page internal 500 error immediately after i’ve de-activated the child theme, it looks like one of codes from functions.php or directly a file.

Just do a test.

Cheers
    R.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Ticket solution
     koenhurtekant
    Participant

Hi,

You’re right. I’ve reworked the functions.php, removed some code and it works fine now.

Thank you very much!

Koen

Radu

Hi,

Great

Cheers
    R.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Bugs & Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?