This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years by Kieran_SQ.

• Author
     fuzzi_felt
    Participant

I find sweet date very difficult to understand and have deleted my whole site about 7 times now and started again.  I have used WordPress.com for a blog for over 10 years so some of the dashboard is familiar and I also have developed about 15 websites using different web builders and have a little HTML knowledge. I seem to be spending lots of time ‘removing’ parts of the ‘sweet date’ theme I don’t want.
    I was expecting to use it ‘out of the box’ so to speak but its much harder than how it is
    advertised and I am feeling unhappy and stressed about it all. Please help me.

1.      I am confused using a child theme too.  Have set up the API key so the parent theme gets updated automatically.  But how do I apply any updates to the child theme from the parent theme and how do I know what is knew?

2. How do I to remove the LOG IN and SIGN UP buttons at top right of page.  They don’t seem to go anywhere if I try to use them what do they come under in the dashboard?

3.  I am about to set up profile matching etc., but confused which section I should be in to do this.  There seems to be 2, one is deprecated/disabled.  Am I using buddypress or pro membership…

Sorry I am getting so confused, learning all this.
    I just want to set up a simple dating membership site, no blog or forum etc.

I have tried looking for tutorials via google but most seem to be out of date.

Thank you.

Kieran_SQ

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the issue you’re facing setting up your website. I’ll answer each point in the same numbered format below.

1. The SweetDate Child theme inherits all files from the parent theme so you do not have to update the Child theme. With the said, from time to time, you will need to update any files you have overridden within the Child theme as something major may have changed. If you plan to use the Child theme you should update on a staging or local environment before your live site to ensure all of your custom code works. Always check the changelog before updating, you can find it here https://archived.seventhqueen.com/sweetdate/article/changelog

2. The login and signup buttons on your site do work and trigger login or sign up modals. When logged in the login button is replaced with the user profile button which also shows any pending notifications. If you still wish to remove the buttons please add the below CSS to your SweetDate Child theme’s style.css file

COPY CODE
    li.header-login-button {
        display: none;
    }
    li.header-register-button {
    }
    li.relative.btn-profile {
    }
    a.tiny.button.radius.btn-logout {
    }

3. There is only one profile matching feature in SweetDate which can be found in WP Admin > Theme Options > Profiles Matching. You should configure all of the options here.

4. You can use BuddyPress and/or Paid Memberships Pro as you see fit for your project needs. If you you wish to run a dating site then you will need to use BuddyPress and if you wish members to pay to use the site you will need to use Paid Memberships Pro too.

Kieran

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Custom development requests can be sent to dev@seventhqueen.com, one of the development team will be happy to discuss your needs.

fuzzi_felt
    Participant

Hello
    Many thanks for your reply it was very helpful.

Just a question.
    I am keeping the log in, profile and log out as they all work fine.

But how can I link the ‘sign up’ to a page I have named sign up which has
    all the membership payment options on as in the main menu.

I tried testing it and signing up via the ‘sign up’ but it just goes to an error page 404.

I have looked through Settings for Buddypress etc and permalinks etc. but am still confused.

thank you.

Kieran_SQ

Hi,

There is no setting to change this, you’ll need to be using the SweetDate Child theme and edit the code.

With the SweetDate Child theme active copy the below file from the parent theme to the Child theme. Recreate any folder structure that is not already present in the Child theme.

From
    /wp-content/sweetdate/page-parts/general-header.php

To
    /wp-content/sweetdate-child/page-parts/general-header.php

Scroll to around line 210 and look for the below code

COPY CODE
    <?php if ( get_option( 'users_can_register' ) ) { ?>
    								<li class="header-register-button">
    									<a href="#" data-reveal-id="register_panel" class="tiny button radius">
    										<i class="icon-group hide-for-medium-down"></i>
    										<?php _e( "SIGN UP", 'kleo_framework' ); ?>
    									</a>
    								</li>
    							<?php } ?>

Change the a tag to

COPY CODE
    <?php if ( get_option( 'users_can_register' ) ) { ?>
    								<li class="header-register-button">
    									<a href="/my-custom-page/" class="tiny button radius">
    										<i class="icon-group hide-for-medium-down"></i>
    										<?php _e( "SIGN UP", 'kleo_framework' ); ?>
    									</a>
    								</li>
    							<?php } ?>

Replace “/my-custom-page/” with the path to your custom page

Save, clear all caches and log out to test.

Thanks,

Kieran

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Custom development requests can be sent to dev@seventhqueen.com, one of the development team will be happy to discuss your needs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?