This topic has 13 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years by sharmstr.

• Author

Tagged: 

alvedon
    Participant

Hi,

The ‘Create Group’ button in the Groups page is not working. When I press the button, I see the link /groups/create at the left end of the page but nothing really happens. When I press the ‘Add group’ link on the admin panel (WP) the link (/groups/create) redirects to /groups/create/step/group-details and it works but I want my users to be able to create groups of their own, without asking me. All of the options regarding BP Groups are turned on.

I visited BP and WP forums regarding this issue but all of the relevant answers on this topic redirects to the ‘theme’. Meaning, this issue is not about WP or BP, but the theme codes itself, i.e the loop function in the page.php of the theme.

Could you help me on that?

Thanks,

Ö.

sharmstr

That was an issue before Kleo 2.4.1. Please upgrade.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

alvedon
    Participant

I can not update the theme because I havent used the child theme and frankly nor KLEO itself or the wordpress community did not warn me about the usage of the child theme and the upgrades. Besides, when I purchased the theme, I expected that it would work 100%. Anyway, Is there any local fix for that without upgrading the whole theme? I mean could i change some code lines and fix that?

sharmstr

. Besides, when I purchased the theme, I expected that it would work 100%

So does that mean you havent updated wordpress or buddypress either?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

alvedon
    Participant

Oh I am sorry, are you under the impression that Kleo is a plugin like BP or a whole infrastructure like WP that require a child theme beforehand in order to update? Or do you assume that a purchased theme is exactly like a free infrastructure or a free plugin? And yes when I purchase a product I expect it to ‘work’, that is the underlying logic of buying something.

You really must watch your tone, you are not here to needle the customers who obviously need help about the product.

sharmstr

I wasn’t trying to. I was asking if you updated those. Here’s why. Buddypress moved the the link for create groups with their latest update. That’s when it broke. I’m making sure that’s what happened so I can help you fix your issue.

Also, keep in mind that Kleo will always have to be updated to support newer version of plugins. Like in this case (if you indeed updated BP), BP moved the link so Kleo needed code changes in order for it to work. Also, BP added new functionality that absolutely doesnt work with older versions of Kleo. How could it when the functionality didnt exist before? Does that make sense? Bottom line is your going to continually run into issues like this if you update BP and/or WP without also updating Kleo.

I’m really not trying to be confrontational. I’m just trying to help and pointing out why it can never work 100% if you update to versions of BP that didnt exist when the version of Kleo you’re running was coded.

alvedon
    Participant

At this moment I can not update the theme since I had no prior knowledge of a child theme when I installed the theme and now my site is live and running, making all these changes all over again and starting from scratch is out of the question for me. If I had known that child theme stuff before hand, I would have made the necessary changes, but now it is not possible for me.

If you have any other solutions other than updating the theme (e.g changing some codes) I would appreciate that.

sharmstr

I can find the code for you, but I still dont know for sure if you’ve updated Buddypress. You havent said. 🙂

At the risk of upsetting you even more, there is a recommendation in the documentation to install the child theme.

Is it safe to assume that you dont remember all the changes you made and that’s why you cant switch to the child theme? If that’s the case, something I use all the time is program called winmerge. It allows you to compare a directory of files and highlights the differences. (There’s probably something similar for a mac if that’s what you use) You can use it to compare the original kleo code to the code on your server. Once you have a list of all the changes that were made, you can export the Kleo Theme Options, enable the child theme and import them. I have a write up about this procedure on my site if you’re interested http://sharmstr.com/saving-importing-and-exporting-kleo-settings/. Once that’s done, you can make any css changes and copy any modified files that you’ve identified with winmerge. Once everything is back to how you had it, except now running the child theme, you can update.

A lot of hosts have a “staging” functionality. This allows you to create an exact copy of your website with a just a few clicks. This will allow you to make all the changes you need to without affecting the live site. Once everything is configured and running correctly on the staging site, you can push all the changes to the live site with a click of a button. Contact your host about this.

Again, you’re going to constantly be fighting with update issues if you dont take the time to sort it now.

alvedon
    Participant

I updated the BP plugin. I am aware that making researches about the theme is my responsibility since you can not phone every customer about this warnings. So, I am not trying to shift the blame here. However, this is not clear to me as to for how long should I use the child theme. Only for beforehand changes I made on the site, or is it ok to use the child theme while the site goes live and actual users use it. If the answer to latter is yes, then a child theme must be a huge deal for all the theme developers and for you (not you personally, KLEO team). You should write paragraphs about how to use a child theme, importance of the child theme etc, instead of just warning the customers with a few sentence. Because all of your updates and fixing problems depend on that condition. Again, I accept that it is my responsibility but you should be aware that all of your customers are not WP experts and they do make mistakes or overlook things.

Anyway, if you could lead me with the code I should change, that would be great.

sharmstr

Child theme should always be enabled. Its a place to make changes to the theme that will be upgrade safe. This is stated in the documentation.

You can read more about it here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

I need to research the fix for you. Its Sunday and I’m heading out for the rest of the day. I’ll have a answer for you during the week.

sharmstr

Can you respond privately with a link and credentials to your site?

alvedon
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     alvedon
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     sharmstr

Okay try this. Go to /kleo/buddypress/js/buddypress.js. Search for the “tabs and filters” section. Just under that you’ll see

COPY CODE

if ( jq(this).hasClass('no-ajax') )  {

Change it to

COPY CODE

if ( jq(this).hasClass('no-ajax')  || jq( event.target ).hasClass('no-ajax') )  {

Reminify your files and test.

Let me know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?