This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years by Abe.

• Author
     ThemeVal
    Participant

Hi, is anyone else having this problem with BuddyPress 2.0 upgrade?

I had customized the default avatar with this hack:
    http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/guides/customizing-buddypress-avatars/

However, with the 2.0 update, the customized default became the Mystery Man.

I resaved this custom bp file and sent it up to the server again, but, nothing.

Does anyone know of a solution to have a custom default avatar replace the Mystery Man?

Thanks so much for your help!

sharmstr

Works fine for me, even after upgrade to 2.0. But I’m not using the code on the link you provided. Instead, I have this in my functions.php file.

COPY CODE

/**
    * Add a default avatar to Settings > Discussion
    **/

add_filter( 'avatar_defaults', 'new_default_avatar' );

function new_default_avatar ( $avatar_defaults ) {
    		//Set the URL where the image file for your avatar is located
    		$new_avatar_url = 'http://yoururl/avatar.jpg';
    		//Set the text that will appear to the right of your avatar in Settings>>Discussion
    		$avatar_defaults[$new_avatar_url] = 'Your New Default Avatar';
    		return $avatar_defaults;
    }

Be sure to change ‘yoururl’ in the avatar path.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

ThemeVal
    Participant

I will give that a try Sharmstr. Do you have to update the customizations in your functions.php file with each new upgrade version of BP? How do you keep track of that?

Also, I need to update my version of KLEO. Is that a simple upgrade? Will any of my child theme customizations be overridden by the upgrade? First time upgrading…

Thanks so much!
    LOVE THIS THEME SOOOO MUCH!!!

sharmstr

You should read the stick post in this forum that tells you how to upgrade Kleo.

The point of a child theme is that its upgrade safe in that they will not be overwritten by theme or plugin updates. BUT, keep in mind that there might be new functionality that your custom code (stuff in your child theme) will either have to be edited or removed completely in order for the new functionality to work.

Here’s how I work.

1 – I use a hidden forum section on the site to keep a log of all cutomizations I do and what files are effected.
    2 – When a update is released, I read the change log to see if any of my customizations will be voided (new functionality added that my customization took care of), or need editing. I go through my topics in the hidden forum at this time.
    3 – Backup the theme or plugin thats being updated.
    4 – Update
    5 – Make any changes to my customizations (determined in step 2).
    6 – Test. If there are any issues I’ll start removing files from the child theme (again, make sure you have a backup) until I figure out where the problem is.

If you are new to all of this, I strongly suggest that you read up on WP theme/child themes and BuddyPress. I see so many topics created in this forum that have nothing to do with Kleo. Lots of people assume Kleo does everything when all it really does is style things. Case in point. This thread 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Abe
    Keymaster

Thanks sharmstr for detailed info.

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?