This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years by Kamal.

• Author
     gigidesign
    Participant

What is the purpose of the child theme? Do I need to install this or only if I plan on changing any code?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing the child theme rather than the parent theme?

Kamal

Hi,
    -The main purpose of the child theme is to give you the ability to upgrade the theme without losing the customization you have made.
    -It is a great idea to install child theme especially when you need to make any customization. And if you do not need any customization at the moment, you may not need to install child theme but who knows you may need to customize something in near future. So it is highly recommended to install child theme.
    ::: The advantages:::
    -It gives you ability to update your theme safely without losing your customization
    -Easy to extend the functionality and features of parent theme
    -Fallback is available from parent theme
    and many more. You may Google it for more info.
    :::The disadvantages:::
    The major disadvantage is the learning curve. You need to learn hooks and functions that are used by parent themes for using, modifying or extending the child theme. You can Google it for more info.
    I hope the information I have given here helps you.
    Thanks,
    Kamal

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?