This topic has 17 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years by Radu.

• Author
     msteimann
    Participant

Hello,

I need to hide the @username field beneath the profile avatar, because I want to protect my users as much as possible from being hacked. The problem is, if a username is displayed to the public, everyone gets 50% of the user’s login information.

Could this be done via CSS or altering functions-php?

I have already installed the excellent plugin Smart User Slug Hider to prevent the username from getting displayed in the browser slug and disabled @mentions in the KLEO theme bbpress settings.

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Kieran_SQ

Hi,

You can use the below CSS snippet in your KLEO Child theme’s style.css to remove the @username from the members profile.

COPY CODE
    h4.user-nicename {
        display: none !important;
    }

Makes sure to purge your WordPress, server, and browser cache(s) once you have saved this in WP Admin > Appearance > Editor > KLEO Child > Style.css

Thanks,

Kieran

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Custom development requests can be sent to dev@seventhqueen.com, one of the development team will be happy to discuss your needs.

msteimann
    Participant

Thank you Kieran, you’ve made me happy!

Kieran_SQ

Hi there,

Happy to help 🙂 Feel free to open a new topic any time with any other questions or issues.

If you have a spare 30 seconds today please consider leaving the support you’ve received and/or KLEO a review on ThemeForest. Every review really does help me.

https://themeforest.net/item/kleo-pro-community-focused-multipurpose-buddypress-theme/reviews/6776630

All the best with your project,

Kieran

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Custom development requests can be sent to dev@seventhqueen.com, one of the development team will be happy to discuss your needs.

msteimann
    Participant

Just one more question: Would it be possible to show the user’s real name (display name) instead, without the @?

Kieran_SQ

Hi,

You would have to be running the KLEO Child theme and copy across the below file from parent

/kleo/buddypress/members/single/cover-image-header.php

To child

/kleo-child/buddypress/members/single/cover-image-header.php

If the folders don’t exist already you would need to create them. Once the file has been copied across you can the edit the KLEO Child theme copy of the file. You would edit line 33 (correct as of 20/01/2019) where you see a h4 tag with a class of user-nicename. Remove the @ and call in the xprofile field you wish to display.

Thanks,

Kieran

msteimann
    Participant

Kieran, that’s fantastic! I will give it a try.

And you get 5 out of 5 review on ThemeForest for working even on Sundays! Thank you and have a nice weekend (well, the rest of it ;-))

Kieran_SQ

No worries 🙂 And thanks very much for the 5 star review!

msteimann
    Participant

It’s me again. On my track to hide every possible references regarding user’s name/username I stumbled about another issue:

The members of my network might not want his realname to be exposed to search engines. I’ve watched a tutorial about setting up bbpress, and noticed that their member names did not show up in the page titles. One could read „ | DIVI Theme“ and not „member name | DIVI Theme.

Would this be possible with the KLEO Theme as well? Just leave a blank space in the browser’s page tile display wherever a real name of a user would appear? (please not attached screenshot)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Kieran_SQ

Hi,

I just did some testing locally with KLEO and double checked here on the forum, which uses bbPress/KLEO too, I do not see the users name used in the page title or breadcrumbs.

Can you confirm you’re referring to when viewing a topic? If so, you may have some other plugin, code or setting at play creating this for you.

Kieran

msteimann
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply. And sorry for misleading to the bbpress thing. I meant the page titles of the BuddyPress user section. Whichever item you click there in the profile tabs (for example Activity), the user’s real name is included in the page title, which is how it should be, but I would like to avoid this.

Kieran_SQ

Hi,

I see now. I am not aware of a way to change this manually so I will refer this ticket to one of our developers for their insight. They’ll be in touch with you as soon as they can, Monday to Friday, East European Time.

If you have any other questions in the mean time then please open a new topic so I can assist you.

Thanks,

Kieran

msteimann
    Participant

Great, looking forward to hearing from you again during next week!

Radu

Hi,

That thing seems to be a bbpress related thing, if you switch theme to the default one it will stay the same title right ? I recommend you to ask this on their forum support.

Also tried to find a solution for you a plugin or similar but i cannot find it.

Cheers
    R

msteimann
    Participant

Hi Radu,
    thanks for looking into this, and I appreciate your recommendation.

Radu

Hi,
    No problem
    Cheers
    R

msteimann
    Participant

Hi Radu,

the BuddyPress team has not responded yet. Meanwhile I did some research and wanted to let you know that I found a plugin that seems to do the trick. Hasn’t been updated for a while, but works with the recent versions of BuddyPress and KLEO Theme.

Within the settings of „BP Power SEO“ plugin you can change the page titles of all related Buddypress pages. Just delete the member name variables at „Members Profile“ and „Members Profiles tab“ and that’s it.

Cheers,
    Martin

Radu

Hi,

Thanks you for letting other users to know a solution related to this matter.
    Cheers
    R

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?