This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years by Andrei.

• Author
     bassfan
    Participant

I have a search box on my homepage like Kleo’s Pinterest Theme.  I have it set to Ajax results only.   When I first go to my homepage and type something (quickly) in the search box and hit Enter…it often returns just whitespace.    This is when I know there are results.  It doesn’t say there are no results or anything like it should.  I can’t really pinpoint when it happens and when it doesn’t other than it happens the first time I go to the homepage, but if it works then it seems to continue to work for a while.   It doesn’t seem to do this at all if I have it set to Ajax results plus going to the search page.  However, I like it better without the search page coming up right away if the user hits Enter.

I’ve attached images showing what I am describing.  Obvious, but helpbad is what it does when it returns blank results and helpgood is what I would expect it to return.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Radu

Hi,

Do you have plugins updated especially K-elements and Visual composer ?

Please check update state from wp-admin -> appearance -> install plugins, update plugins that have are not updated.

Also please enable wp debug by going to ftp in root directory of your wp install open wp-config.php look for define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, false ); and change it to true and after this line add this

COPY CODE

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

WP_DEBUG_LOG is a companion to WP_DEBUG that causes all errors to also be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory. This is useful if you want to review all notices later or need to view notices generated off-screen (e.g. during an AJAX request or wp-cron run).

Repeat the described actions and then check the debug.log file and let me know what error appears.

If is something related to php memory please follow this link : seventhqueen.com/blog/code-snippets/increase-php-memory-limit-in-wordpress.html

Let me know

Cheers

Radu

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     bassfan
    Participant

All my plugins are up to date and I’m on Kleo 4.0.3 (although this problem has existed well before the latest update). I have enabled debug and the log as you described. I got it to have the issue again but don’t see any log being created in the wp-content folder. I was also able to get it to have another issue I hadn’t seen before. I searched for “Bill” and it worked. Then I backspaced that out, searched for “Jack” and hit Enter. Nothing changed on the dropdown. See attached. Again, it works most of the time. I think it took my ~10 tries to get it to mess up. One other item of note, when it doesn’t work, the little spinning icon on the right side of the search box never appears.

I would try and replicate it on the Pinterest example theme but its set to go to the results page which doesn’t have the same problem for me.

Any other ideas?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     bassfan
    Participant

I went ahead and added this in as well: define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘128M’); I didn’t do the other two steps listed there.

Just a heads up, that code has a funny character for the single quotes. I don’t know if it’s valid or not but syntax highlighting in my IDE was off so I noticed it.

Radu

Hi,

Yes sometimes the bbpress breaks the quotes.

After you have added define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘128M’); you was able to perform a search ?

Cheers

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     bassfan
    Participant

No nothing has changed and the problem still exists. I’m always able to run the search, just sometimes it does the weird stuff I’ve described and doesn’t work correctly.

Radu

In this case, when the search is returns blank, you can check the debug.log file from wp-content/ to see if any error appears.

Cheers

Radu

bassfan
    Participant

There aren’t any errors in the log. The only thing in the log is akismet debug for verifying key.

Andrei

Hi @bassfan, thanks for all details and clarification, I’ll try to give a closer look into this asap and I’ll let you know about it.

Thank you for your patience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Bugs & Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?