This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years by sharmstr.

• Author
     Patagonia
    Participant

Hi, my BP sub pages use the template I chose in theme settings > buddypress.
    But the BP main pages (members, activity etc) do not. Tthey seem to use the standard Page.php template, which I edited (but those edits don’t make sense for BP and give errors).

How can I make/choose one overall template for the BP main pages?

cheers

Laura

Hello, do you want to show the bp sidebar in members and activity page? If so, i can guide you so you can do the changes in child theme 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

Patagonia
    Participant

Hi Laura,

no, what I want to do is make a page template with some extra code within the loop (underneath the featured image).

It seems that the only way to do this is to make a whole new page type, as the page templates do not cover the main part; if I change content-page.php, then all pages (including the mentioned BP ones) have the change, which is what I don’t want.

So now I have solved it by creating a new template which calls a new content type: content-edited-page.php, not sure if this is the way to go. Just a bit different code should not warrant a new content-type?

Cheers

sharmstr

Why can’t you use !bp_is_blog_page()?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Patagonia
    Participant

Why can’t you use !bp_is_blog_page()?

I don’t know because I do not know what you mean with that 🙂

sharmstr

LOL. Sorry.

So you’re saying that you want to add something to buddypress pages only, but dont want to create a separate template file for it, right?

bp_is_blog_page() is a bp function that will tell you if you are on a page that ISNT a bp page. So, if you add an ! to it, you’re asking “Is this a bp page?”

In your page.php file you can do this

COPY CODE

if (!bp_is_blog_page()) {
    echo "Hey!  I'm a buddypress page";
    }

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

sharmstr

Lots of other goodness here: https://codex.buddypress.org/developer/template-tag-reference/

Patagonia
    Participant

Ah, ok, yes that might work. I am ok with making more templates, but the problem is I want to edit the part that is not covered by the templates. There is no template that goes between general-before-wrap & general-after-wrap I think.

So the only choice is to make a complete new page type like content-edited.php in the child theme root, and a real new template which then calls get_template_part( 'content', 'edited' ); which calls new page parts. Just seems a bit impractical and was a big puzzle for me.

This also mean I cannot set this as a default template as far as I can see.

sharmstr

There’s a couple of ways to do this. You can do it as I’ve already outlined, or you might be able to inject it using a function in your childs function file. Tell me exactly where you want it and on what pages.

BTW – there are several templates that go between general-before-wrap & general-after-wrap. It all depends on the page you’re viewing. Again, let me know where you want the new content.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?