This topic has 14 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years by Patagonia.

• Author

Tagged: 

Patagonia
    Participant

Hi, apologies if this is obvious, but I can’t see it:

– I created 2 custom sidebars
    – I created a page with template 2 sidebars (left+right).
    – at the bottom of the page edit screen I can choose 1 sidebar to add to the page

Questions:
    – How can I choose 2 sidebars?
    – If I can only choose one, which one will it be and which one will populate the other on the 2-sidebars templates?

Thanks!

Edit: it seems that the chosen sidebar appears left, while the right sidebar is empty (my default sidebar has widgets, so that one is not appearing). How to choose left and right sidebar?

Abe
    Keymaster

hi, I the Appearance – Widgets you will see another Sidebar named “Extra – for 3 columns pages” which is used in 3 columns pages

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

guy_fraser
    Participant

So you can change one sidebar on a page by page basis, but the 2nd sidebar is static site-wide? While we can customise the widgets on that 2nd sidebar, we can’t actually swap it out for a completely different sidebar?

Patagonia
    Participant

Yes, what Guys_Fraser said: the problem is that one (the right one) is defined: the extra sidebar.

After choosing a 3-column design (doesn’t matter if it 2 sidebars left or sb-content-sb etc), the right sidebar is already fixed (the Extra-for 3 column pages sidebar).

You can only choose which sidebar you want as a left sidebar, as there is only one option for a sidebar.

This is very limiting, as mostly I want the right sidebar often to be different on 3-column pages and the left sidebar for certain categories etc as well. We need two choice options when using a 3-column page, else the entire 3-column set up is useless as it has no flexibility..

Thanks!

Patagonia
    Participant

To clarify: if you choose the extra sidebar when editing the page, then you end up with the same sidebar, twice (the extra sidebar for 3-column pages).

Abe
    Keymaster

No don’t choose the extra sidebar in any other page. Just add another sidebar from Appearance – Sidebars

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Patagonia
    Participant

??? I am not sure if you understand the problem:

– you can create unlimited sidebars on Appearance – Sidebars. That works.
    – you can add/choose any sidebar (standard or custom) to any 2 column page. That works, too.

However:
    – if you created a page with template 2 sidebars (left+right, or 2 left or 2 right), then at the bottom of the page edit screen I can choose only 1 sidebar to add to the page. The other (always the right one) is fixed (the extra sidebar for 3 columns).

I don’t want the same right sidebar on every 3-column page! We should be able to choose both sidebars.

guy_fraser
    Participant

Put another way, when editing a page/post that has 2 sidebars there should be two drop-down lists – one for changing which sidebar appears in the first sidebar, and the other for choosing which sidebar appears in the second sidebar.

Currently there is only one drop down – so at page/post level we can only currently alter one of the sidebars for that specific page. Having the additional drop down would allow us to alter the second sidebar for that specific page/post.

guy_fraser
    Participant

I’m going to try this plugin… http://wordpress.org/plugins/content-aware-sidebars/

Abe
    Keymaster

I understood what you need but the 2nd sidebar from the 3 column pages can’t be changed right now.
    You can easily create a full width page and split the content into columns and add a Wigdetized sidebar element

---

guy_fraser
    Participant

That plugin I mentioned above seems to work 🙂 It allows me to say “in <whatever> location, substitute Extra – for 3 column pages sidebar with <some other> sidebar” – and so far it seems to be working. In fact, I can replace even things like footer columns, etc. IMHO that plugin would be worthwhile bundling with the theme.

Abe
    Keymaster

Good to know 🙂

---

guy_fraser
    Participant

#winning 😀

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     guy_fraser
    Participant

@patagonia – did the plugin I mentioned earlier work for you? If so, please mark topic resolved 🙂

Patagonia
    Participant

Hi guys,

@guy_fraser
    thanks, but though the plugin works great (and I am definitely going to use it), it does not solve this problem.

Somehow the extra 3rd column sidebar on the 3-column template is not a real sidebar (?), and it cannot be replaced by this plugin (I tried, nothing happens, while every other sidebar on any other page can be replaced).

@abe
    I tried to use VC with a fullwidth template and add 2 sidebars in columns, but that also creates problems, see this thread:
    https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/page-title-outside-container-when-editing-with-vc-and-other-bugs

So we are still stuck with the same problem: we need to be able to choose the 2nd sidebar in 3 column templates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?