This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years by Radu.

• Author
     dsniche
    Participant

On the profile page, I have several fields with multi-line text area. Some people write long texts in these boxes and the problem is that the line breaks don’t appear.

For example I write two paragraphs, hitting enter twice so there’s a line break between them in the text editor. When I save the text, it appears on the front end without the line break so the paragraphs are close together, which can look cramped.

I attached screenshots to show what I mean.

How do I make it so the line breaks appear on the front end?

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Laura

Hello, will assign the ticket to a higher support level who can help and advise you in your query.
    Thanks! ?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

Radu

Hi,

Try to add this line into child theme functions php (wp-cotent/themes/sweetdate-child/functions.php)

COPY CODE

add_filter( 'xprofile_get_field_data','wpautop' );

Another possible solutions here : https://buddypress.org/support/topic/line-breaks-in-profile-fields-descriptions-not-showing/

Cheers
    R.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     dsniche
    Participant

Hi Radu,

I appreciate the help.

I tried the code you gave me above but it didn’t work.

I’m not sure how to implement the possible solution from the buddypress forum. I tried inserting “echo wpautop($data);” and it didn’t work either.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Radu

Hi,

No problem,

I’ve understand that not works, please try also this solution : https://buddypress.org/support/topic/no-html-allowed-on-front-end-profile-page/ see latest reply

Cheers
    R.

dsniche
    Participant

Hi Radu,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The file referenced in that thread is in plugins/buddypress/bp-xprofile/bp-xprofile-filters.php — is it safe to edit this file?

Also, it’s an old thread so I’m not sure if it’s still relevant, because on line 48 is this: “add_filter( ‘xprofile_field_name_before_save’, ‘force_balance_tags’ );”

Radu

Hi,

Backup the file before you will change it after that backup again the file with the modification by renaming something like that

original-bp-xprofile-filters.php
    modified-bp-xprofile-filters.php

Also the modified file should be saved on your computer when the plugin will be updated the file will be overwritten

Cheers
    R.

dsniche
    Participant

Hi Radu,

I couldn’t get it to work by adding add_filter( ‘xprofile_get_field_data’,’wpautop’ );

Maybe I didn’t put it in the correct place? Do you know where exactly in the file to add it in? The thread is 3 years old so maybe the placements have changed.

Thank you.

Radu

Hi,

If you need to have multiple lines use Multi-line Text Area instead your current field type.

It will render like this

Cheers
    R.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?