This topic has 17 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years by sharmstr.

• Author
     leonardoarias
    Participant

Hi, I have been testing the “Ajax Buddypress Live Notifications”, and I get notifications for new messages, new replies to my topics, friendship request… but not for a replies made on my buddypress activity.

For instance: if I post something in the buddypress activity, and somebody replies, I dont get any notifications.

How can we add that type of activity to the live notifications?

Thank you.

sharmstr

I use this http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-activity-comment-notifier/

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

leonardoarias
    Participant

thanks @sharmstr

I am playing around with that plugin, but I am trying to make those notifications happen within the same “Live notification” spot that Seventhqueen created for the Kleo theme.

Any ideas on how to accomplish that? Have you done that?

Thanks.

sharmstr

Works for me. Though I originally wrote the plugin (I’m sure the KLEO team has re-written it) so I might have some of my code left over in my functions.php file. I’ll take a look and report back.

I will say, that when I wrote it, all the script did was look for any new notifications in the db. It doesnt care what type of notification it is. By default, BuddyPress does not notify on activity comments (or a tleast it didnt before) and that’s why you need to install the activity comment notifier plugin.

I did notice that the notification says “<name> commented on your post” and not “activity”. Thought maybe its always said that, even when I was using my version of the plugin. I can’t remember.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

leonardoarias
    Participant

thanks again, @sharmstr

Let me know if you find anything in your functions.php file that will be useful to integrate the activity comments on the Live notification spot. I will keep playing around with that as well.

If I can help in any way, just let me know. Thanks!

sharmstr

I just went through it and I dont have any left over code. I stepped through the Kleo code and they are using ‘bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user’ to get the notifications. Basically they are using the built in BuddyPress query to retrieve the new notifications. The BuddyPress code doesnt care what component created the notification, it just grabs any notification marked as ‘new’.

Have you verified that the activity notifier plugin is working correctly? Does it show up in the members unread notification table? yoursite.com/members/membername/notifications/

You should also see it in the bp_notifications table. The component_name is ac_notifier. See attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     sharmstr

Here’s a firebug screenshot of what’s happening as far as the ajax request is concerned.

Attachments:
     sharmstr

One other question. Does the notification count go up after a page refresh? In other words, have you verified that its just the ‘live’ part of it that’s not working?

leonardoarias
    Participant

Hi @sharmstr

So, I made it work. I reinstalled the plugin and it worked. The ajax is working properly. Thanks for your guidance so far.

But I detected one issue:

While the notifications show up in the “live notifications” section, they don’t show up in the members “READ” notification page: yoursite.com/members/membername/notifications/

As soon as you read them, they disappear.

I noticed this in the database as well.

When I posted a new comment in an activity status, the database displayed the view in: “image1.png”

But, once I read the notification, it disappears. And the table in the database deletes it. It doesn’t just change the “is_new” from 1 to 0. It “deletes” that notification: “image2.png”

Do you happen to know why this could be happening?

I consider important to keep those notifications in the “read” section, since people can always refer back to that section to see activity that matters to them.

Thanks.

Attachments:
     sharmstr

I noticed this as well. I’m pretty sure that Kleo is doing it. I didnt bother tracking it down because its a low priority for me, and, if I’m being honest, I kinda like it that way 🙂

Anyhow, glad you sorted it.

leonardoarias
    Participant

yeah, wondering why they do that. anyway, its not high priority for me either. So I will let it be for later. 😀

Thanks for your help my friend. It was great to count with you to get this sorted out.

Have a great rest of the day.

leonardoarias
    Participant

Hey @sharmstr

Just curious: are you a web expert available for hiring?
    I am building a couple of sites with Kleo, and It will be very helpful to have an expert working with me (wodpress, buddypress, plugins, etc). Nothing urgent, but wanted to see if you are available. Lets keep in touch. If you are available, let me know how to contact you besides this site. Thanks!

sharmstr

I’m no expert. I’m a total hack who utilizes google for every problem I need a solution for. I appreciate the compliment though 🙂

leonardoarias
    Participant

Awesome 🙂 Keep rocking buddy!

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi there. Nice and productive discussion you got here 🙂
    When you read a notification, that notification goes to the Read tab in your notifications page, it is not deleted. See the screenshot

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Attachments:
     sharmstr

@abe. That’s not the case on our installations. Its definitely deleting them.

leonardoarias
    Participant

Hi @abe
    Glad to have you join this conversation.

Some notifications stay in the “read” section. However, other notifications don’t.

For instance, notifications about messages, forums, friendships, are stored in the “Read” section. But, notifications about “comments made in a buddypress post you participated”, and “comments made in a buddypress post you posted”, are not being stored in the “read” section.

By default, these 2 types of notifications are not being reported in the “kleo live notifications” feature. But, thanks to @sharmstr, I installed a plugin that makes those notifications show up in the “kleo live notifications” feature.

Plugin: http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-activity-comment-notifier/

Personally I find it quite important to have those 2 types of notifications. If I post a status, I want to know who is commenting there, to follow the conversation.

So, now those notifications show up. When I check the database, and when these notifications are unread, you can see them in the database. However, once you read them, they just disappear from the database and therefore don’t show up in the “Read” section.

@abe
    , any idea why? Thanks in advance.

sharmstr

Here’s what I’m seeing. For activity notifications, if I click on mark as read in the live menu then it doesn’t delete it. I can even go to the notification page and mark it read/unread over and over and it never deletes it. It only deletes it if I follow the link to the activity. It also does this for comments made in rtMedia’s lightbox. It doesn’t not delete forum reply notifications.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?