This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years by sharmstr.

• Author
     mitchcan
    Participant

I am looking to work through some site issues (aren’t we all?) 🙂 and I am considering all options.

One being notifications. Theme Options has 20,000 ms. Am I correct that this figure relates to the frequency/interval of when the site ‘looks’ for any BP activity updates to send to the Notifications in the Menu?

If I adjust the default setting of 20000 to like 60000, or even more, or if I pull Live Notifications from the menu, then set this as 0 (off), will that benefit any for reducing server load and increasing site responsiveness?

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I’m just looking at all options.

Thanks!

sharmstr

It totally will. And you dont need to remove it from the menu. Set it to 0 in theme options. Then it wont “live” update, but will show any new notifications when the page refreshes ( or loads a new page).

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

sharmstr

Also, its important to understand that it spawns a new check for every user that is on your site. So if there 100 people on your site, it will launch 100 notification calls every 20 seconds.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

mitchcan
    Participant

Wow. I had no clue on the ‘per person’ call (he said, sheepishly, thinking he should have known this). That seems like it would be a big deal, no? I’m going to make that change. Seems like a small trade off if I can improve performance.

We run BuddyPress, bbpress, Woo, S2, CalendarizeIt and Connections… all resource intensive, plus, er, lots of plugins, so I’m looking for every edge I can get.

Thanks @sharmstr

sharmstr

No problem.

I should say, that if you have a site where people will be on the same page for a long period of time (long articles), you might be fine setting the live notification at every 30 seconds or 1 minute.

Also, there is no “hey this person has been idle for 30 minutes, so they have probably left their browser open and walked away. Maybe we should stop polling for new notifications.” Also no “this person has multiple pages open on our site”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?