This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years by catwin.

• Author
     twoshoes
    Participant

Hi,
    I have had a big problem with my site ever since I installed it. More than half of all members that try to register experience problems and cannot complete their registration.

I keep getting emails from people who say that they either did not receive the activation link and/or after clicking it, they say they get an error message, saying that the activation code is not valid.

As a result of this I am losing many members.

Is there anything you can do to help me with this issue, please?

girlinparis
    Participant

I am having a similar problem in that users get registered unless they choose “give me a blog”. At that point, the dropdown no longer works and the page refreshes upon “complete signup”. After that, the user/blog never gets registered. Not trying to hijack your post, but wondering if the dropdown being gone with the new update and forcing a page refresh is what we are all having issues with.

girlinparis
    Participant

…or is it the new “membership” feature? I can’t even find the membership feature. lol

girlinparis
    Participant

I think I found the problem. I just don’t think I can fix it. For me, my “registration settings” seem to be mismapped after the theme update. Is it possible this is happening with you @twoshoes?

Now when I change the settings to allow users to register and add a subdomain, I get the behavior of the option just above that only let’s users register then add subdomains later. And so on up the list.

twoshoes
    Participant

I’m sorry @girlinparis but I don’t think we’re having the same problems. I am not creating any subdomains and I haven’t updated to the last version yet. I’ve had this problem all along, and I didn’t see anything about a fix for this in the changelog for the new update, so I highly doubt that this will fix it. But thank you for sharing and offering your help, it is greatly appreciated 🙂

mcgreggor
    Participant

@twoshoes: I think your problem with the invalid activation keys are not related to the theme but is in fact a BuddyPress bug. You could check this by switching to the default theme to see if the problem persist.

This is what happened on my installation:
    1. After clicking on the confirmation link in their e-mail they are redirected to my site saying they have succesfully registered.
    2. When they first log in they are redirected to the activate-page asking them for the activation key.
    3. When they enter the key they get an error saying it is invalid. However they have succesfully registered and logged in. The error message just isn’t a great way to welcome new members.

I fixed it by redirecting users to their profile page after they log in by adding the code below to sweetdate-child\functions.php

// let us filter where to redirect
    add_filter("login_redirect","bpdev_redirect_to_profile",10,3);
    function bpdev_redirect_to_profile($redirect_to_calculated,$redirect_url_specified,$user)
    {
    if(empty($redirect_to_calculated))
    $redirect_to_calculated=admin_url();

// if the user is not site admin,redirect to his/her profile
    if(!is_site_admin($user->user_login))
    return bp_core_get_user_domain($user->ID );
    else
    return $redirect_to_calculated; /*if site admin or not logged in,do not do anything much*/
    }

Hope this helps.

kswift
    Participant

I also had a problem with new members getting a ‘enter a valid code’ type of error, even though after seeing that error they could just continue and use the site.

What fixed it for me is ‘BP autologin on activation’
    http://buddydev.com/plugins/bp-autologin-on-activation/

twoshoes
    Participant

Oh this info is really great and helpful, thank you so much @kswift 😀 I added your code to my functions file and added the plugin as well, and everything now seems to be in order. Again, thank you so much.

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Thanks guys for your support.

@twoshoes
    this problem was resolved in the latest update by removing a redirect. We first added a redirect in the login modal so after login you should go back to the previous page you were on and because the last page was “Activate” page, the site was redirecting you to the page where you already activated.
    Both @mcgreggor and @kswift solutions are right

Cheers

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     kinfegebwg
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    When i register as a user it takes me to the the “members” page, and nothing is comes to my email, Nothing happening, Please help here is my url http://ethiopiandate.com/

THANKS!

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Your register page isn’t mapped with the buddypress component. Go to Settings -> Buddypress to do that

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     kinfegebwg
    Participant

Thanks !! works great. and Thank you for the team. Its really AWESOME.

fcm2013
    Participant

I’m able to log in 95% of the time as a new member on Firefox. When I can’t get into the site the lost password seems to recover the user to get up and running again. But my other tester is using Safari and has failed every time using the latest version of the software. What is interesting is that she can’t register again using the same email as the system has logged the email but didn’t sent anything out to her. She can’t log in as the system is say the email must verify the email first which won’t happened until the activation link is sent. HELP!!!

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Hi, You can view not activated user with this plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-registration-options/
    Probably users haven’t activated their account and can’t login, they need to click the link in the activation email

fcm2013
    Participant

For some reason they aren’t receiving the email to activate the link.

SQadmin
    Keymaster

You should make sure mails aren’t going to spam or the receiving server doesn’t reject your emails. Try checking server logs or maybe try a plugin that sends mail trough a smtp host

airsidworld
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     airsidworld
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     SQadmin
    Keymaster

I see you have done many changes to the site. make sure you don’t have a plug in that makes problems with registration. you create an account and see if it is activated

You should make sure mails aren’t going to spam or the receiving server doesn’t reject your emails. Try checking server logs or maybe try a plugin that sends mail trough a smtp host.

catwin
    Participant

Hi Robert,

I seem to be having the same problem. I thought it was solved by using BP Disable Activation Reloaded but now I am seeing that a new user has signed up but is not automatically being assigned participant role probably because they can’t login.

Could you also recommend a plugin that sends mail through a smtp host that works well with the theme please?

Thank you!

Catherine

catwin
    Participant

My apologies, I just saw another thread with a recommended plugin. Will try Easy wp SMTP. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thank you.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘Sweetdate – WordPress’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?