This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years by sharmstr.

• Author
     johnmf09
    Participant

I am wanting to setup a page that displays the course instructors and the courses that they teach that is available to everyone, what I am using is the “post grid module” I am using the datasource of portfolio to display the results. The problem that I am running into is that the portfolio items are protected by membership on a separate page that it membership protected. Is it possible to protect portfolio items without having them on a protected page?

Thanks
    John

sharmstr

Sort of confused about what you’re asking, so let me see if I can guess….

You’re using PMPro to protect pages. You’ve added code to add PMPro to portfolio pages. You’ve created a page with VC and used VC built in post grid (not the kleo post grid) to display a grid of portfolios. The portfolios are protected so non-members are seeing something like “This content is for members only” instead of the excerpt? If that’s the case, then go to Memberships > Advanced and turn on Show Excerpts.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

johnmf09
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion. What I am trying to do is let non-members see what instructors there are and what courses that they teach. Ideally I want to enter data once and have pages pull from that source. What needs to be done to add code for the portfolio pages, if I can protect a project category I think that would solve the problem.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    John

sharmstr

I still dont understand what you mean by protect a project category. Meaning those projects (I’m guessing this is a CPT you have) dont show up in the list? Is the portfolio used for the teachers and a list of their courses? Are the courses the pages that are protected?

Sorry for being stupid here, but I really have no idea what you’re trying to do. LOL Maybe some pictures or links or access.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

johnmf09
    Participant

Not being stupid.
    Ok, The goal is to enter data in one location about the course and instructor. I am using projects and project categories for that, I setup a page that I protected with membership levels to restrict access and that works fine. If possible I would like to have a page that is accessible to everyone to be able to see the instructors and what courses that they teach without them being able to view the course substance just the course description. I would like to be able to have this information be pulled from the projects and use the course description but not give access to the substance. Again I am trying to limit having to repeat entering the information.
    Hope this is clearer and makes sense.
    Thanks
    John

sharmstr

Okay. You didnt mention post grid or portfolios in that explanation. Is the accessible page a post grid page that has a box for every course that will show a course description and the instructor? Or a box for every instructor that has a list of the course they teach? Is the accessible page a portfolio page?

I’ll ask again, is “projects” a custom post type?

I think no matter what, you’ll have to use a custom excerpt to display information like a course description, since PMPro has a switch that will allow you to show an excerpt from protected content. I’m saying ‘custom’ excerpt because you can control how much info is displayed that way. Yes, that means having partial duplicate content, but at least its coming from one location (i.e. post/project) so its an easy copy paste.

johnmf09
    Participant

Ok, Taking your advise I got everything working using “post” and “post categories” I can use the show excerpt function and the ability to use pmpro’s ability to restrict categories, letting me only enter data once and keeping everything secured.
    Thanks for your patience and help.
    John

sharmstr

That’s great. Sorry that I wasnt completely in sync with what you wanted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?