This topic has 15 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years by soos.

• Author
     Jonbie
    Participant

Hi,

When users are viewing the activity feed there is no way for them to see friend requests/notifications etc. Is there any way to get the buddypress style mane icons into the top main menu of the website so users can see friend requests etc while browsing the entire website. Im sure the website comes with this and im just not able to find the option,

could you point me in the right direction,

thanks,

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, Try adding Buddypress related link to the menu from Appearance – Menus. Enable Buddypress links from Screen options.

Cheers

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Jonbie
    Participant

hi,

When you say enable bpress links from screen options, where would i find the options?

sharmstr

At the top of almost every page in the admin, you’ll see a link “screen options”. Make sure Show on screen: Buddypress is enabled. Once that’s done, you’ll see a option for Buddypress sections on the left hand side that you can add to your menus.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Jonbie
    Participant

Hi, I can the screen options tag. when i click it it opens up with the option s below

Right Now in rtMedia, At a Glance, Activity, Quick Draft, WordPress News and Welcome. There are no other options.

I do have buddyspress options in the settings tab but there is nothing there about the menu.

sharmstr

You have to be in the menu screen, not the dashboard.

Admin -> Appearance -> Menus

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

sharmstr

Also, adding the buddypress friends link to the menu probably isnt going to give you what you are after, if you’re looking for some type of notification (alert) that someone has sent you a friend request. All it will do is provide a link to your friends section in your profile (from there you can see requests).

I could be wrong but if you are looking for some type of alert/notification, at present that’s only available with the Admin Toolbar enabled Admin->Theme options->Miscellaneous.

I hacked my site so that the notification bubble is displayed in the menu since I dont like the Admin Toolbar, but I wouldnt recommend implementing it if you are not familiar with php and buddypress.

Jonbie
    Participant

thanks, Its exactly what i am after. Just seems strange that users can not see notifications while browsing the website and that they have to physically click into there account to check it.

Unfortunately i wouldn’t be experienced enough with buddypress or php to implement the hack but on the other hand i could see user getting very frustrated with the design and not using the website.

sharmstr

Enable the admin toolbar is your only option for that. And to be honest this is true with every buddypress theme I’ve played with except one. That’s why I came up with the hack. Here’s a link to it, but again, I caution you against using it based on your experience.

https://github.com/colabsadmin/Kleo-Hacks/blob/master/NotificationBubble

sharmstr

I just thought of something. If you dont want to enable the admin toolbar, you can try using Buddypress Live Notification plugin. I have it running on 2 of my sites. The idea behind it is that it will update the notification count in the admin toolbar without a page refresh (which is useless if you dont enable the admin toolbar) AND it will flash a notification message (similar to facebook) on the users screen. The notification doesnt live very long so they may miss it if they are in another window, but it gets you closer to what you’re after. https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-live-notification/

sermsak
    Participant

The Dashboard Heading it shown :

The following active BuddyPress Components do not have associated WordPress Pages: Activity Streams, User Groups, Members, Activate, Register. Repair

Please help.

sharmstr

make sure you have those pages. if you dont, create them. once you have them, go to admin->settings->buddypress->pages to assign them to buddypress.

Jonbie
    Participant

Thanks

soos
    Participant

hey i added the notification hack https://github.com/colabsadmin/Kleo-Hacks/blob/master/NotificationBubble but basically i think i have a different problem as well. I tried it out, let and created a different account so i can simulate a friend request. so i click on the bubble (1) and it takes me to the notifications page, until now it seems ok (theoretically) because it tells me that i have a friend request so from here i can choose to select “read” or “delete” notification. When i click on read, nothing happens just that the notification disappears and it is read but im not taken to the friend requests page… so i get curious and click on my friends tab in hope to see the request there, but nothing there either 🙁 after i clicked on the new profile created i just saw that i have an open friend request, than i had to click on that link from the users profile, which took me to a different page with my friends and the friend request. Basically it is a too long way in any sens to get 2 users connected. Is there any way to shorten this more maybe like facebook style, or even if not facebook style; but when clicking on the notification to be redirected exactly to the request for example, and also on the other users profile if i see that i have a request from him, just to approve it on the same page, not to be redirected?

PS: Sorry for my short novel 😀 and thank you in advance

sharmstr

The notification hack mimics the “stock” buddypress notifications. The ‘stock’ notifications determine the notification count by TYPE of notification, not the total number of notifications. In other words, if you had 10 friend requests, your notification count would be 1 not 10. So coding something that would take you directly to the actual ‘event’ would me displaying the individual event in a dropdown of some sort.

As far as ‘shortening’ the route to get to the actual event, once in the notification table, if you click on the notification text instead of ‘read’, it will take you to the friend request. This is all stock buddypress functionality.

If you want the whole process shortened, you’d have better luck bugging the BuddyPress team or asking in the buddypress.org forums.

soos
    Participant

ok thank you

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?