This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years by Catalin.

• Author
     redwiredesign
    Participant

Hi,

I handle multiple copy of the website. One local to edit the files, one on a staging server (private) for me to test in production-like condition and a production server to be accessed by actual users.

I’m used to migrate WordPress installations between those stages and everything works fine usually. Not with your theme though. I’ve setup options in your sweet date configuration page. These options doesn’t migrate properly.

Even the import/export tab in your configuration page is not working.
    Even when I moved my WordPress installation to a different folder but keeping the same url, all the options were gone… that’s quite disappointing!

so my question is : How should I do to migrate properly your theme without losing my customised settings ?
    A mysql export/import is usually enough. It’s not an issue from me since this issue reproduce on several servers…

redwiredesign
    Participant

I found the issue. Because you store everything as a JSON formatted string, when you try to migrate the website JSON breaks.

Your theme would greatly benefit from a fix there as more and more website switch to a multiple stage deployment process. Especially that when you export/import this is from different installation so we’ll need to change urls at some point.

If some of you are stuck with this, the workaround here is to don’t forget to update the property length when you edit something.

for example :
    […]s:4:”logo”;s:50:”http://oldurl.ltd/content/uploads/2014/08/logo.png“[…]
    will become
    […]s:4:”logo”;s:55:”http://www.new-url.ltd/content/uploads/2014/08/logo.png“[…]

Catalin

Hello, I am glad you found the solution. That is the default and recommended way of storing serialized options data from theme customization since otherwise we would have created maybe hundreds of database entry instead of 1.

Normally at a domain change you need to search/replace the old url with new url, just like you did.

Cheers

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     redwiredesign
    Participant

Hi,

I understand that serialising data make it better and there is no reason to stop that. The current version of the theme is just not migration-friendly. This can be fix by handling data differently. Instead of storing the full url, just store the path from root then get the root url from the main WordPress settings. That’s just an example of course. That might not fit everyone’s needs but there is tons of workarounds out there to fix that.

Regards,

Catalin

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it and we will consider it for next updates

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?