This topic has 34 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years by Laura.

• Author
     ersalabert
    Participant

Hi,

I am wondering how to modify the content of the Registration page, and also the modal pop-up that appears when the sign-up button in the header is clicked. I’ve attached screenshots. I see that the PSD folder contains these templates, and if this is where we would modify the text, I’d like to know once the PSD templates are modified, how do they get uploaded to the Child Theme’s folder.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     ersalabert
    Participant

Just as an FYI, when logged in, I’m unable to load the page to edit since I’m already logged on – so it won’t display the content.

Laura

Hello, the PSD are not part of the wordpress design, you cannot update website content with an edited PSD.
    For this task you would need to edit theme template files, i can help you with that but i need to know which changes you want to make 🙂

BTW – Register page and all buddypress pages are dynamic, which means they cannot be edited as a normal page, only by editing the template file.

Register page is only visible for guests, not logged in users

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

ersalabert
    Participant

Hi Laura,

If you could guide me to where I could locate the correct Template files, I can edit them. Also, please let me know best-practices for this type of modification to ensure any updates to the Theme do not override changes made.

Thanks

ersalabert
    Participant

I found the files that I would need to edit. Would I then replicate the directory structure of the Parent theme and upload the modified files, and it should work, correct? I ask, because when I uploaded a modified up_page.png file into the images folder I created while duplicating the same directory structure as the Parent theme, the new up_page.png file was not loaded.

ersalabert
    Participant

Update:

I copied the home-register-form.php to /wp-content/themes/sweetdate-child/page-parts/ with the changes to the title on line-18 as a test, but my changes did not take. I suspect since the theme was created with Zurb Foundation framework, it’s likely that the child theme needs some files to call the appropriate files as they reside in the Child Theme’s directory. Can I have some assistance with this? I can’t proceed with development until we get clarification on how to best setup and work with a Child Theme.

Thanks

Laura

Hello, can you share ftp access so i can check it out?
    Please also share the text you want to use

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

ersalabert
    Participant

Hi Laura,

In which theme (Parent or Child) will you make the changes on? I know which files control the text. My main concern is to have the changes overriden with an update if you plan to modify the Parent theme. Please confirm.

Laura

Hello, we always work at child themes, i want to check why is not working for you

ersalabert
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     ersalabert
    Participant

Hi, is there an update on your research?

Also, when I try to create a new support ticket, I get redirected to https://my.sweetdate.com/dashboard.

I then have to login again, and although I have submitted a ticket there a few days ago already, the dashboard still shows I don’t have any tickets created yet. I created one just a minute ago, and when I submitted the ticket, I was redirected back to the dashboard, and I still do not show any tickets submitted. I also did not receive the support email confirming my ticket was submitted.

So for now, I (and perhaps everyone else) cannot create new tickets, which is important.

Could your team delay the migration to the new support site until you can fix these problems? We need to have ability to submit requests for support and not have them disappear into a void — please assist.

Laura

Hello ,so you are trying to change “Setup your account” ? You canchange this using Loco Translate plugin, just edit your own language to change the string. Check at Sweetdate and k elements plugin using Loco Translate.

About the new support, tickets are created correctly, you need to register, put your license and at your dashboard, click at My Tickets and Submit new ticket, here is a direct link https://my.seventhqueen.com/dashboard/submit-ticket/

Fill the required fields and send it.

ersalabert
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t understand your question:

Hello ,so you are trying to change “Setup your account” ? You canchange this using Loco Translate plugin, just edit your own language to change the string.

Are you asking if I want to change the text into another language? I’m not looking to change the Language (English to another language) of the https://%mysite%/registration page, which is a Buddypress page-part named home-register-form.php.

I want to reword the title and text of that page. The issue I’m having is once I placed the files in the child theme directory, made the change to the text, and dreplicating the folder structure of the parent theme, the changes are not being seen. You requested access via FTP to see why the files in the Child theme were not being pulled and displayed, and I’ve been waiting to hear results of your ‘testing’.

Please clarify what you’re asking, and if you understand my inquiry.

In regards to the new portal to submit tickets. Why does it allow me to login? I’ve entered my license key, removed the key from the original support portal profile. I don’t recall if I was told that I already had an account with the current credentials when I went to register a couple of weeks ago, but I’m allowed to logon. I’ve created at least two tickets on the new portal, while logged in, but I get not email confirmation of the new tickets being created or received, and the dashboard tells me to create new tickets since I haven’t created any yet. Doesn’t make sense.

Thanks

Laura

Hello, i understand its a bit confusing but we do use the plugin Loco Translate to reword strings. It can be used for translating and also for rewording, the key is to “translate” your own language. SO if you go to Loco Translate – Themes – Sweetdate – Edit English language, then you will be able to reword strings.

About the new support site, we will check your account and let you know.

ersalabert
    Participant

Good morning,

I’ve invested in WPML plugin for translation purposes, and I’m thinking this could also work to translate the strings, correct?

What is the reasoning behind using Loco Translate specifically, and would the “translations” remain if the plugin were to be uninstalled? Is WPML compatible with the theme?

As for the new support portal, I need to create more support requests so a quick investigation into what’s happening would be appreciated. I’ve mentioned this issue several times within a couple of existing support requests here, but nothing’s been done yet.

Thank you.

ersalabert
    Participant

I also wanted to know what is the purpose of having a Child Theme if we’re limited in what can be modified within the child-theme? Please send me a list of changes that your child-theme setup can recognize, and placing the limitations in the formal documentation will be necessary to help understand your products, because it will help me to make purchasing decisions.

ersalabert
    Participant

Hello

I tried WPML and I was unable to “translate” the English content – I can ask their support for assistance. But, then I installed the Loco Translate plugin, followed your instructions and the instructions on this page: https://archived.seventhqueen.com/sweetdate/article/theme-translation .

I found the text of the page I’ve been needing to update in this thread, changed it, cleared cache, and the changes are not showing in the web browser.

Attachments:
     Laura

Hello, WPML is more for multilanguage while Loco Translate is just a translation tool that can also be used to rewrite strings of the same language.

For the string not changing, please share wp-admin access so i can test it

ersalabert
    Participant
     ersalabert
    Participant
     ersalabert
    Participant

Hi,

I checked the Register page today to see if any changes had been successful, but the content is the same. Have you had time to look into why the Loco Translate plugin was unable to change the strings of the Title and text of the page?

Laura

Hello, i see the issue, please go to wp-content/themes/sweetdate/buddypress/members find register.php
    Copy it and paste it at the child theme following the same folder path just as you did for the register form.

Find the words at line 73

ersalabert
    Participant

I will follow these steps. However, please explain in detail why this text is in 3-different locations (2 in the theme and 1 in BuddyPress)? What is the purpose of having the text in the Theme if changes made via Loco Translater do not have an affect?

Currently, the register.php file contains this content in Line 73:

COPY CODE
    <p class="lead"><?php _e( 'Registering for this site is easy. Just fill in the fields below, and we'll get a new account set up for you in no time.', 'buddypress' ); ?></p>

The screenshot I’ve included is the Loco Translate of the Plugins / BuddyPress / buddypress-en_US.po file, which has the updated text Updated: March 4, 2019 3:55 PM – I didn’t make the change, but it still does not reflect the register.php file.

The WordPress Register page is now displaying the updated text that I wanted. Could you tell me who made the change to buddypress-en_US.po, and why it’s not reflecting in the register.php file, and how the home-register-form.php and register.php file work together, if they do at all?

Seeings that the text has been updated, do I still need to place the register.php file in the child folder, and do I need to manually update the text on line 73? I want to understand why I should do that now. And last, why didn’t the changes to the two areas of the Theme I made with Loco Translate not reflect as was intended?

Lots of questions, but I need to understand how the Theme works for me to support this theme and make modifications without wasting lots of time researching around and failing when instructions don’t quite resolve the issue.

Thanks again.

Attachments:
     ersalabert
    Participant

Update:

I removed the modified text of the <p> element from the two locations on the Theme’s english.po file using Loco Translate. I then changed the Title “Create an Account” in the BuddyPress plugin using Loco Translate (buddypress-en_US.po). The changes did take effect after a few minutes. I made the change to the <p> element of the text in the BuddyPress plugin for the “Registering for this site is easy…”, but changes do not take.

I have not copied the register.php file to the Child folder during these steps. So, what gives? Can you help me with this?

FYI: I also wanted to use a <br> in the <p> element while the modified text existed in the Theme’s en_US.po file, and sometimes the change took, and sometimes it didn’t.

I read in another thread that the user uninstalled BuddyPress, and reinstalling the plugin helped resolve the issue of modified text in the .po files not being retained. Perhaps the Theme’s setup wizard should not automatically install the various plugins the theme requires, and should instead instruct users to install required plugins individually. I have not uninstalled BuddyPress, but I’m considering doing this if we’re unable to resolve the issue of having the same text (Title and “lead”) in three areas (2 in theme, 1 in BuddyPress plugin), and changes to default content are not retained. What are your thoughts?

Laura

Hello, please check it should be changed now, i created the language files again. Changed at theme and buddypress plugin.

You see it at both because for buddypress it shows all string and as we change the template of some buddypress pages the it appears at theme language too.

Always clear cache after a change so you can see it.

ersalabert
    Participant

I made some changes for testing on the BuddyPress plugin side, and changes seem to be taking. Yesterday, I was clearing cache with WP Super Cache at every change and I also have Caching disabled on the Server, but the changes were not working. Perhaps the recreation of the english po files helped – could you tell me how you recreated the PO files? I’d like to know for future reference.

So, going forward, for pages related to BuddyPress, I should only modify the text in BuddyPress plugin, and not the text that is passed through to the Theme, correct?

Is this the same for other plugins we’re working with? I suppose that if I encounter the same issue with other plugins that work with the Theme, I may need to recreate the respective enlish po file, and knowing how to recreate it would be useful.

ersalabert
    Participant

I forgot to ask: Is moving the register.php file to the Child theme still necessary?

Thanks

ersalabert
    Participant

I created a subdomain for testing updates, and it contains an exact duplicate of the live site. Today I received notification that the Sweetdate Theme had an update available. I applied the update to the subdomain, and the H2 title of the Register page reverted back to its original text “Create an Account”. The text below the title that I had also modified did retain the modifications. What could have caused this?

Please also notice the browser window tabs on both the attached images – The development subdomain site is pulling the string that was translated by Loco Translate as the page title, but the H2 Title displayed on the page is the original “Create an Account”, while the live site’s tab is reflecting the updated string and retains the modified H2 Title.

Futhermore, I inserted a <br> in the translated string to split the H2 title, and see how the <br> is showing up in the browser’s tab also? Perhaps an SEO plugin may help with modifiying the page title, but why is Loco Translate inserting the H2 tag instead of the page title of “Register”? How do we manage this problem? If it’s best to use HTML for the <br> in the back-end, I’d like to know how to achieve this. I also tried to use CSS to modify the font-weight and color of the H2 tag on the Registration page, but no matter what I tried, I was unable to get the changes to take – even clearing cache – it’s what I do all the time to make sure I’m not missing a step.

I cleared the Cache in the subdomain also, but didn’t resolve the H2 issue.
    I look forward to your response.

Attachments:
     Abe
    Keymaster

Hello, that string is now translatable from our Sweetdate theme since it is no longer available in BuddyPress. Use Loco translate the same way to translate it but it should be found in the theme strings

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

ersalabert
    Participant

Hi Abe,

Thanks for the update. I’ve removed the two modifications from the BuddyPress plugin with Loco Translate, cleared Cache several times, ensured caching is disabled on the Server, and the original text has appeared.

I then went into Themes and modified these elements(one entry for H2, and two places for the p.lead class element “Registering for this site is easy. Just fill in the fields below, and we’ll get a new account set up for you in no time.”, cleared cache, but the changes are not taking.

I then decided to go back into the BuddyPress plugin and make the same changes, but no changes.

I have access to the PHP settings on the Server. Are there recommended settings that I should check, like: max_execution_time, max_input_time, max_input_vars, memory_limit that this setup requires?

ersalabert
    Participant

Hi

I believe we are in very separate time zones. While it’s “sleep time” here, it’s day-time where you are. It’s morning here now, and I’d like to know if anyone on the developer’s side had a chance to look at this issue that was caused by the update of the theme yesterday morning for me. It’s tough to be productive with the timezone difference, and the urgency of the issues that take couple of days for a response.

The changes I’m attempting to make are not complex, and should not require so much effort to just change text and titles, and even CSS. Yet, it’s been very frustrating to work on content since I’m worried that the more work I put in, changes will be removed on update. Child Theme does not function as it should with this theme, and I believe it’s because of the theme using the Zurb Foundation framework. Changes are recommended directly on the core files, and using a child theme has not worked out well in my scenario.

Thank you in advance.

Laura

Hello, the issue of the <br> at loco translate might be a bug of the plugin, we never saw this before and i’m not sure the cause of this.

About the strings, if you try to change them again, it doesnt take any effect? I’m talking about Loco Translate, i can check it out again for you if it doesn’t work. Please translate at Sweetdate child.

The child theme is not actually related to language files, then changes you do to it its basically copy main theme files, paste it there so its saved and are not changed by any update, its like storing your changes, following the same path of folders so its exactly like the main theme, then the change would take effect.

For language issues or string changes, you need loco translate. Like i did before, click SYNC and then search for the string

ersalabert
    Participant

About the strings, if you try to change them again, it doesnt take any effect? I’m talking about Loco Translate, i can check it out again for you if it doesn’t work. Please translate at Sweetdate child.

Yes, this is correct, the changes are not being made. After the update of the Theme, I followed Abe’s instructions to modify the text and made the changes on the Theme section of Loco Translate. Abe said that the string no longer is part of the BuddyPress plugin going forward. And as I explained, the changes are not working either on the Theme side or the BuddyPress side.

The child theme is not actually related to language files, then changes you do to it its basically copy main theme files, paste it there so its saved and are not changed by any update, its like storing your changes, following the same path of folders so its exactly like the main theme, then the change would take effect.

This is contradicting everything we’ve done in trying to resolve this problem. I’ve been asked to use Loco Translate to change content Strings depending on whether the text exists in the Theme or in plugins.

Now I have to copy the core files whose content I’ve modified using Loco Translate to the Child Theme to preserve the changes. One question I asked early on in this long thread was, how can I know which core file was modified so I know to place that file in the Child theme folder?

The string I wanted to change was found /wp-content/themes/sweetdate-child/page-parts/home-register-form.php. Then I was informed that the original text was found in register.php at wp-content/themes/sweetdate/buddypress/members/register.php. But, after changes had reflected on the webpage before yesterday’s theme update, the regiser.php file still did not contain the changes – therefore I do not comprehend the purpose of placing core files in the child folders if changes are not actually being made to the files by either Loco Translate directly or via a php script.

Please read the thread history in its entirety before you reply, because it’s frustrating to have to repeat myself and provide the same documentation and steps that I’ve taken to respond to questions from your support.

Thank you.

So, without knowing

ersalabert
    Participant
     Laura

Hello, shared the answer at the new platform, Closing this ticket

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Modify the Registration page and Modal Popup’ is closed to new replies.

Forgot your details?