This topic has 13 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years by sharmstr.

• Author

Tagged: , , ,

5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi,
    The option to add/show the page excerpt seems to have gone missing. I’m sure it used to be there but now there’s no option to show it in the screen options pull down menu. Has this happened due to a wordpress update?
    It’s still there in the edit post page, just not in the edit page area.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

sharmstr

Page excerpts never existed. You need to add them using a plugin or a custom function. Google it. 🙂

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17083311/how-to-display-page-excerpt-in-wordpress

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

5high-photohub
    Participant

Hi there,

Well this is really weird – I’m using the VC ‘Post Masonry Grid’ where you can choose the ‘data source’. I’ve chosen ‘page’ as the source, and I’m 99% certain that for the first 2 pages I was able to edit the page Excerpt in the page itself, as this was how I controlled the length of the excerpt and thus the size of the ‘box’ (ie. the Grid element) which kept them nicely in alignment. Screenshot attached to show how previous page excerpts had been edited to keep horizontal alignment…

So I’m thinking there are 2 options that might have effected this:
    – Either from a recent w/p update, or a glitch with VC?
    – OR could it possibly be related to the additional code I put in for increasing the length of the POST excerpt for increasing the length of excerpt showing in the ‘Kleo Post Grid – small left thumb’? The code info is here: https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/how-to-increase-the-amount-of-excerpt-showing.

Would appreciate your ideas, as there definitely used to be a way to easily edit the page excerpt, without any extra plugins!

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     sharmstr

I dont ever recall seeing a page excerpt. Did you search the WP forums?

As a test you can remove the custom code you put in for the excerpt to see if that makes any difference in the size.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

sharmstr

Okay, I just logged into one of my old sites that I havent updated in a while. There were page excerpts. Go figure.

It was running WP 4.1.1. I updated to 4.2.2 and the page excerpts were still there.

It was running VC 4.2.2. I updated to 4.4.3 and the page excerpts are gone. There ya go. Its VC.

BTW – They are still missing out of VC 4.5.

I’ve copied @abe on this to see if he knows anything about it and since 7th queen is the only ones that can contact support (unless you’ve purchased a copy.)

5high-photohub
    Participant

@sharmstr, thanks for checking this out – I’d been going mad trying to track it down!
    Do you think it best to await the outcome from VC, rather than rush to install another plugin? Or I’ve read there’s some code i can add into the functions.php to add in page excerpts which might be best – just don’t want to do anything that might clash with VC and Kleo.
    Cheers.

sharmstr

I dont see a need to install a plugin. Just try adding the function referenced in the link I sent you. Worse case is that it doesnt work. Then delete it.

5high-photohub
    Participant

OK thanks – will do or may revisit the layout anyway.
    Cheers.

5high-photohub
    Participant

Update: that addition to my child theme functions.php works fine. For anyone else, this s it:

COPY CODE
    add_action( 'init', 'my_add_excerpts_to_pages' );
    function my_add_excerpts_to_pages() {
         add_post_type_support( 'page', 'excerpt' );
    }

😉

jerryw1976
    Participant

On other sites I have, page excerpts are there. I am interested in having page excerpts only for search results to show something other than the page title. Is there a way to to accomplish this? Just to include the first few lines of the page on the search results page?

jerryw1976
    Participant

I meant to add that the function file additional did not work for me.

sharmstr

The code adds the excerpt meta box to the page editor. You are using VC on your pages which will screw up excerpts derived from the content anyways because of the shortcodes.

Double check the page in page editor. If you dont see an excerpt field, click on screen options and see if you can enable it. Once you have it, type in your excerpt, save and kleo will display it.

jerryw1976
    Participant

I added that code to the functions file and it did now show an excerpt box in page options drop down.

Is there a way to edit the search file to include an excerpt like it does with blog posts, stripping out shortcodes?

sharmstr

I just did it on my site and it works fine. Respond privately with admin credentials so I can see what’s going on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?