This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years by Laura.

• Author
     nikb
    Participant

Please help!  I just can’t get my head around how to make Paid Memberships Pro work for me and wonder if you can advise.

1. Site has 2 or 3 public pages but everything else (ie. BuddyPress etc.) is restricted to paid access only.

What I would LIKE to achieve –

Visitors can view public pages but need to click on “Register/Sign-up” in order to complete profile details (eg. username, password, BuddyPress profile fields etc.) AND select payment option (as required from PMPro).

The issue:

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to complete both in a single sign-up process ie. either they can sign-up as a “user” via the (BuddyPress) register page OR they can sign-up as a member via the (PMPro) membership-account/membership-checkout page but there is no option to combine the two (so either they end up becoming a user who hasn’t paid OR they become a user/member who hasn’t filled out their profile fields)… is this correct or am I missing something?

2. In addition to the above, I have set the payment method in PMPro as “by check/cheque” and yet members are being given automatic access to the site as soon as they have signed up (ie. payment is being registered as “success” despite the fact that this obviously wouldn’t be the case until they’ve sent their check by mail).  I do appreciate this may be the fault of the plug-in not your theme, but just wondered if you had any experience of the issue?

With many thanks in advance.

Laura

Hello, i see the issue, a solution would be to create a trial level that after X days the user is asked to pay to continue or it expires and the user is asked to select a paid one. This way i could set it to automatically assign that level once they sign up.

About the check, i do think its a plugin issue, but i would need to check it out…

But another solution for you, as you are not using credit card but check, why not delete paid membership pro and use Buddypress Members Only plugin to restrict the site?. This way, only registered users would be able to view the pages you add to the Buddypress Members Only settings, and you can have page at the menu “Join Now” with the check information. Together with Buddypress Registration Options plugin or Buddypress Moderation plugin ( to manually accept users ) you could wait until you get the check, then activate their account

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

nikb
    Participant

Hi Laura

Thank you for your reply.

a solution would be to create a trial level that after X days the user is asked to pay to continue or it expires and the user is asked to select a paid one.

Unfortunately that wouldn’t be acceptable because it would effectively mean anyone could sign-up and view private member information without any commitment. Of course, I could set the permissions levels so that pages are restricted to those on trial memberships, but I can already do that for those who get signed up as users prior to payment (ie. prior to becoming members) so it doesn’t really help.

In case anyone else is interested, I have actually found that that by using the PMPro Helper Add-On, it’s possible to add extra fields to the PMPro sign-up page (which are then added to the BuddyPress profile) which is a partial solution to my issue… however, to add those fields to the BuddyPress Extended Profile (which is what I need) requires the premium/paid version of PMPro which I am reluctant to commit to at this stage as we only have a very small membership and simply wouldn’t be cost effective. (With a bit of time, I could possibly work out how to code a way to add the fields to the Extended Profile myself, but in the meantime, I’ve been looking into alternative plug-ins to see if they handle things any differently and the best I’ve found so far is “Memberships 2” which allows the use of the BuddyPress register page as part of the Memberships 2 sign-up ie. membership AND user profile are created at the same time.)

But another solution for you, as you are not using credit card but check, why not delete paid membership pro and use Buddypress Members Only plugin to restrict the site?

This would certainly be a good solution if we ONLY accepted checks, but once live we will also be accepting credit card payments so also need that option to be available too. Again, having tested “Memberships 2” as an alternative option, this shows check payments as pending until Admin indicates otherwise, which suits our purposes in this respect.

In summary, although I’m finding the interface of “Memberships 2” is not quite as user-friendly and since it’s obviously not so well integrated with Kleo, I’m needing to tweak the css/pages somewhat, it does seem to fulfull our specific needs a little better overall. (Obviously this isn’t a fault with your theme, which seems to be working very well so far, but thought I’d mention in case it’s useful for anyone else who similar needs.)

Warm regards
    Nik

Laura

I see, i understand,happy you could find a solution 🙂
    If you need help with the css changes i am here to help 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?