This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years by pvamaster.

• Author
     dsniche
    Participant

Every time I upload a new avatar, I get this error message: “You have selected an image that is smaller than recommended. For best results, upload a picture larger than 580 x 580 pixels.” I can still upload the picture, but the error message will be confusing to users.

I have tried uploading large pictures. The picture in the screenshot, for example, is 3504 × 2336 (860 KB). Yet the error message keeps appearing. And I notice the crop preview picture is a lot lower in quality than the original picture I upload.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Laura

Hello, did you try deactivating some plugins and testing again? Let me know 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

dsniche
    Participant

Yes I did and the error still appears.

Laura

Hello, will assign the ticket to a higher support level who can help and advise you in your query. Please provide admin credentials
    Thanks! 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

dsniche
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     Andrei

Well, because you’re uploading a small image for your profile, the system has to crop it in order to make it full square, and here it might cut from the image. If you upload bigger images you’ll have more space in your photo from where to crop and the pictures will as well be more qualitative.

Please note this feature is entirely part of the buddypress plugin and not something related to the theme.

Cheers

dsniche
    Participant

Andrei, that wasn’t a small image. As I mentioned in the original post, it was 3504 × 2336 pixels (860 KB). I didn’t choose a small portion of the image to crop. In fact I stretched it to the edges of the original photo. It was definitely much bigger than 580 x 580.

It’s okay if you don’t know the solution because it’s a Buddypress issue. But it’s presumptuous of you to insist that it’s an issue with the image size when I have specifically said that that’s NOT the issue here.

Andrei

My bad, sorry for my misunderstanding, I have tested this on my local install and I’m receiving the same message, but there’s nothing we can do as how this comes directly from buddypress.

Most probably the issue should be reported on their bug tracker.

Cheers

dsniche
    Participant

Andrei, thanks for investigating. I got the following reply from the Buddypress forum.

By default the avatar sizes are :
    – 150x150px for Full size
    – 50x50px for thumb size

If a message is asking for a different minimum size, then it’s meaning a plugin or a theme is using some of our filters/constants to edit these sizes.

You can search for this filter bp_core_avatar_full_width or this constant BP_AVATAR_FULL_WIDTH outside of BuddyPress to find who’s setting the size to be 580x580px.

So how big is the avatar supposed to be and where do I change the settings to make the error message go away?

Andrei

Indeed, our theme sets the “BP_AVATAR_FULL_WIDTH” to 580 px, but even so, the buddypress message is still wrong, because you are uploading a bigger image and the buddypress plugin tells you that you have uploaded a smaller image.

“You have selected an image that is smaller than recommended. For best results, upload a picture larger than 580 x 580 pixels.”

Maybe you have forgotten to specify this aspect to them.

You can change the avatar default sizes by editing the following file: “wp-content/plugins/bp-custom.php”

Cheers

pvamaster
    Participant

Every time I upload a new avatar, I get this error message: “You have selected an image that is smaller than recommended. For best results, upload a picture larger than 580 x 580 pixels.”
    Image not upload!!
    I have tried uploading large pictures.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?