This topic has 10 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years by lucasmarstonmusic.

• Author
     lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

I feel like trying to replicate many of the features of the “Portfolio Full Width Overlay” template you guys have will solve some of my problems.

If you have a guide somewhere that I can follow that explains it, that could help. A few questions I have are:

– Inserting MY categories into the categories for the Portfolio Short code. They give me All, Design, Photography, Print, Video, and Web Template. Is there a way I could put my categories in here instead?

– Having my Posts appear in this section, as though it’s a portfolio of articles. They can navigate through posts by the categories. This saves me from sending them to another categories page of which I have no control over the design. It keeps them on the home page or on the page of a post.

– Having a fully, wide screen of content. The portfolio goes to the very edge of the site, whereas everywhere else I have quite a white border on both sides. How can I achieve this?

Thanks

sharmstr

1 – Portfolio categories can be added by going to Portfolio > Categories. Note: these are not the same as the default WP categories.

2 – The layout is only for portfolios, not posts. If you want a filter for posts, then use the built in VC Post grid shortcode and custom design it to look like the portfolio layout if you want. https://wpbakery.atlassian.net/wiki/display/VC/Grid+Builder

3 – Go into the row settings and set Inner Container to No.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

This idea does work.

But now I’m having some issues with the grid builder. I’m following the tutorial videos they have put out along with the link you sent but my results are not the same after following their instructions.

When I use the NEWS Highlight short code it will take the first image from the post and use it as the featured image on the main page. I don’t insert featured images in my posts because it is too hard to have any control over them. Instead I was told to use a row and set an image as the row background. I prefer this, though this won’t display this first image that I place in this row. Instead it takes the first image I use in a text block. Its very annoying.

-Is there a way I can tell the grid builder that I want them to take the image from the post and use it as the featured image? Ideally it would be the background image of the first row that I put in my post.

Right now all of my posts with Grid builder are showing up blue. Let me know if you have got an idea for me, thanks.

If you check out my site I think you will understand what I am trying to do. My reason for wanting to use Grid builder is so that I can have posts under multiple categories and they stay on the front page when flipping through categories.

lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

Also, I can save featured to my Post Grid template and they work only some of the time.

sharmstr

I understand what you’re trying to do. I can 99% guarantee that it will take custom code to make VC pull the image from the post content. Maybe a google search will be of assistance.

I havent tried it but you might be able to use the tabs shortcode, make a tab for each category, then put a kleo post grid in each tab specifying the category in the shortcode settings.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

You think there is a way I could insert a featured image in the post but somehow hide it from the inside of the post but have it communicate with everything else in VC?

lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

Otherwise I would just need to be able to do with a featured image what I am doing to this image I use in a row. Is everything I do with a featured image going to require a lot of custom code in terms of placement and size and appearance?

lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

I’m trying to play with using a featured image but it’s impossible to get any control over it. I tried this code you suggested somewhere

.single img.attachment-kleo-full-width {
    width: 50%;
    }

and it just puts the image to the left of the page, leaving the other half empty. If I change the percentage it’s still stuck too the left and just massive. Is there a way of changing the height too? Maybe cropping the photo? The options for this feel pretty 2002 for such an important function.

sharmstr

Why aren’t you using the “Show media on post page” option? That’s the point of it. To set a featured image but not have it display at the top of the post.

lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     lucasmarstonmusic
    Participant

For some reason the photo with the Posts Grid working wont upload. I just dont know what to do.

[attachment file=118944]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?