This topic has 18 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years by Laura.

• Author
     darunia77
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve tried to add couple of fields ( Age and Location ) to the member directory member header using this method as in the article below but it has not been working. Did I do it wrong? I added it into the functions.php file in my child theme.

I might have named my fields incorrectly but I don’t know where they are located in php to check. I just know this is what they are called within my Users – Profile Fields dashboard.

https://archived.seventhqueen.com/kleo/article/add-extra-profile-fields-show-certain-profile-fields-member-profile-header

I can’t seem to paste the code so here’s my child functions file. If it’s wrong, please advise.

Daria

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     darunia77
    Participant

Hello,

I just realized, the code in functions.php added fields to the member header in the profile itself, not in the directory. However the city field is not working, the age is. I’m attaching screenshot of my own admin profile to illustrate.

I actually also want to add more info to the header (few of the basic profile fields and the Photo section ) and my developer tried the template overload to member-header.php but it didn’t work. Should I open another ticket for this or can you answer/advise on both in this ticket? Since they are kind of related.

Thanks

Daria

Attachments:
     Laura

Hello, I can take a look for you 🙂 Can you share wp-admin and ftp access so I can test?

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

darunia77
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     Laura

Hello, please check attached, is here where you want it? If so this is the code you need https://archived.seventhqueen.com/kleo/article/add-extra-profile-fields-show-certain-profile-fields-member-directory

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Attachments:
     darunia77
    Participant

Hi Laura,

Yes, this is where I want it. Thanks.

Will you be able to check the other part of my question about overload/modifying the member profile header? Why its not working in child theme? Thank you.

Laura

Hello, we can’t add those features to the member header, it requires editing the full member header template so you would need to hire a developer that can do this.

About the profile fields, please follow the guide i sent you and if you have any issue i can check it out

darunia77
    Participant

Hi Laura,

If you look at my messages earlier, I do have a developer, he just said that duplicating the files was not working, he was not able to edit the header file. He asked if you can test it why it’s not working on your end. He will do the work of editing himself afterwards.

I tried to hire your team to do this, but they are too busy and referred me to another developer company in Poland. I have a developer I work with so would prefer he does it as he knows my site well.

Laura

Hello, header.php is not the member header file, its your website header file, please let him know to go to wp-content/themes/kleo/buddypress/members/single to find all files related to profiles

darunia77
    Participant

Laura

I know I am not editing the main header file but the member-header.php file. I just referred to it as a “header” file in my last message as I thought you read my previous messages.

My developer already had gone to the “single” folder in Kleo and and copied the files to child, he believes something is wrong with the way it connects with Kleo main theme as changes he made were not reflected in the frontend.

I am only asking you to copy the member-header.php, make some sample test change (add let’s say an Age field as an example) and confirm that it’s showing on my member header so my developer knows that it definitely works correctly. Basically a test, that’s all.

Possibly maybe he created a wrong folder name in child folder. I don’t know. Can you specify the process of copying and setting up those files in child theme? Is there a tutorial on this on your site? I want to make sure we do it correctly.

Laura

Hello, where did he duplicate the fields? because the child theme has the default, no buddypress folder no files duplicated

Attachments:
     darunia77
    Participant

Hi Laura,

The buddypress folder is now duplicated in child theme.

Is it possible he should be editing the cover-image-header.php and not member-header.php?
    I want to add content to this section as in the screenshot. I want to move photo to the left and adding few profile fields to the right side.

Please try your sample edits and see if they appear on the profile, and please confirm which file my developer should be editing to achieve this. Thank you.

Laura

Hello, it should be member-header.php
    Child theme folder should be wp-content/themes/kleo-child/buddypress/members/single and paste the main file “member-header.php” of the main theme there, do the changes and it will appear at the site ( if you have the child theme activated.

This will always work, but of course, it depends on what change your developer does, if its not well done it wont appear, and if its a matter of css ( style changes ) then its the wrong place, all css is done at style.css
    Any developer knows this and if it seems like not working maybe its the change itself or the developer that is not doing it well. We can help you with theme issues, but your the developer is the one responsive for the custom changes and if they work or not.

Trust me, any well done change works. It has nothing to be with the theme. And the developer should know where to add the files, because is something global with any theme on wordpress

darunia77
    Participant

Hi Laura,

Just wanted to let you know I have tried to change some text in the change-avatar.php file in child theme and it did not work. I only changed the text from “Crop Image” to “Crop and Save” and the change was not reflected. I have not changed any php code. See below. I also made a change at line 98 – output text only and no change on front end.

Line 72 example:

<input type=”submit” name=”avatar-crop-submit” id=”avatar-crop-submit” value=”<?php esc_attr_e( ‘Crop and Save’, ‘buddypress’ ); ?>” />

I believe this is exactly what my developer had issue with. It does not update.

Radu is supposed to take a look at another issue I have with rtMedia so perhaps you can ask him to look at both. Otherwise I will give you the ftp info if you don’t have it so you can check it yourself.

Laura

Hello, yes please share ftp details 🙂

darunia77
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     Laura

Hello, fixed, i did not change the file, that is something you should never do. I used Loco Translate plugin with buddypress and changed the text, check attached 🙂

Attachments:
     darunia77
    Participant

Thanks Laura, I understand how it works to change the text.

Any idea why the buddypress file change didn’t work though? I still want to make updates to the profile page and I can’t if the files don’t update.

Laura

Hello, changing files is the worst you can do, leads to errors and update issues, please change text using loco translate as i did 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?