This topic has 48 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years by LuukDriessen.

• Author
     SQadmin
    Keymaster

Add here your beautiful work

SQadmin
    Keymaster

We would like to put some works on the Themeforest item page, so if you want it to share your website with the world… let us know 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     twoshoes
    Participant
     SQadmin
    Keymaster

Great job 🙂

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     JohnDoe
    Participant

http://www.datelite.net ( still working on this every day )

Don’t put this on Themeforest either @sqadmin.

thank you

Tenshi
    Participant

Update: Nevermind, found it! Great job though~

Hello! How did you display your users in this way? Thanks! http://puu.sh/5dJWx.png

MatchDateLove
    Participant
     dudau
    Participant

Model Casting – still working on it, but functional.

Douweboschma
    Participant

poly-date.com

Membership page under:

http://www.poly-date.com/members-2/

djtreble12
    Participant

http://www.bacchanalfever.com Please provide some feedback!

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, Looks good. Congrats
    The events stream on homepage looks strange fullpage. try adding it to a section

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

frien337
    Participant

Hey All!!!

We havent offically launched our site but have it open for anyone who wants to register and give us some feedback. Have a look at http://www.friendsireland.com.

Hope you like it 🙂

Abe
    Keymaster

Congrats. Looks really nice 😉

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

djtreble12
    Participant

Hey frien337 I thought of locking my site like that. You can only see the rest of the site by becoming a member. Can you tell my the steps you took to have your homescreen your login screen?

frien337
    Participant

Hi djtreble12,

I used WMPU DEV’s Membership plugin (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/) to accomplish that- it’s only $20 so it wasn’t hugely expensive. It allows you to create a range of membership levels and within the levels you can set what each one can see. It also allows you to create a level for non-members and through that level I only made the welcome screen, contact us, T&C’s etc, available.

I guess that the same can be accomplished with the Membership Pro that comes with Sweet Date, however, it conflicted with some of my plugins so I was not able to play around with it.

Maybe someone from Seventh Queen can let us know if the same can be accomplished with Membership Pro?

Let me know if you buy the plugin and need some help setting it up 🙂

nusolutions
    Participant

Be cool to create what I assume would be a “splash page” which hides the footer sidebars and only displays a slider and select content using PMP and Sweetdate. Then once the user logs in their re-directed to their profile but if viewing the Home page they’d get a different layout for registered members.

adam
    Participant

@frien337 very nice! your site is also very fast. can i ask what type of hosting you’re using?

frien337
    Participant

Thanks Adam! I am hosted with SiteGround.com and its good to know because I am using no cache plugins, minimising, etc. I’m also on their cheapest hosting plan too 🙂 I guess that I would have to upgrade the account when I see more users active on the site.

@nusolutions
    – I have something similar to this. I used some css to make my welcome page look like a splash page (hide certain divs, make backgrounds transparent, etc.) and when a user logs in they are redirected to a “Members Home Page” instead of their profile page.

nusolutions
    Participant

Be nice if you could share that as I know I’d give it a try on my site. Also interested in this Members Home Page. What is this you speak of? Enlighten us oh great changer of the sweetdate theme. :-\

frien337
    Participant

hahaha! thanks nusolutions 🙂 It will probably take a looot of typing to explain to you everything step-by-step, but I’ll try explain as best as possible.

The first thing I did was to edit the welcome page (found in “Pages > All Pages”) in WordPress. Remember to switch to the text editor when you are editing this page (option is under the right-hand side of the title field). On this page I removed all the code so that I have a “blank slate” to work with – you may want to copy and paste this code to notepad in case you want to use some of it later on. Just remember that the page (on the front end) will look a bit messed up while you’re working on it.

With all of this removed, you can use some CSS to hide some of the page items that you don’t want to show (e.g.: the main menu and the footer). The CSS I used for this is as follows:

.home-page .header-bg,
    .home-page #header {
    background:transparent;
    border:0;
    box-shadow:none;
    }
    .home-page .menu-row,
    .home-page #login-buttons {
    float:left;
    width:auto;
    }
    .home-page #main-logo,
    .home-page #main-menu {
    display:none;
    }
    .home-page #footer {
    display:none;
    }

That bit of CSS hid the menu and footer as well as moved the login buttons to the left of the screen.

With that in place I added some more CSS to set the background color and add in a background picture. The code I used for that is as follows:

.home-page {
    background:#fff;
    }
    .home-page .kleo-page {
    background:url("http://www.yourwebsite.com/location-of-background-image") no-repeat scroll center top rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
    }

(remember to replace “http://www.yourwebsite.com/location-of-background-image” above with the location of your background image. The size of the image I used is 1150 x 700px)

If you refresh the page now you will see that the background has changed and the picture does show. Ignore the fact that the whole picture doesn’t show just yet and that the search/sign-up form is all over the place.

Now you should go back to your welcome page that you are editing in WordPress. I created a container/div to place all my welcome page items in (the stuff beneath the sign-up form and background picture). The div I created was done by simply adding this code to the welcome page you’re editing in WordPress:

<div id="main-welcome">

</div>

You will then need to add some CSS to move the container to beneath the sign-up form and background image. The CSS I used is as follows:

#main-welcome {
    margin:43em auto 0;
    width:88.5em;
    }

If you refresh your welcome screen you should see that the background image has opened to its full size, however, the search form still covers most of the page. To fix that, simply use the following CSS:

.home-page .form-wrapper {
    margin:43em auto 0;
    width:88.5em;
    }

If you refresh the welcome screen now, you should see that the sign-up form has moved the right of your page and its width no longer takes up the whole page.

That should give the basic layout of my splash page. To add some content to beneath the background image and sign-up form, simply add your HTML to the Welcome page that you edited from WordPress. Just remember to add in the #main-welcome div – where the stars are in the example below:

<div id="main-welcome">
    </div>

In there you can add your short codes to show, for example, a custom footer that shows some basic links:

<div id="footer-welcome">
    Friends Ireland © [php function=5] | Terms and Conditions | Privacy and Cookies | Contact Us
    </div>

Using the above example, the HTML when editing your Welcome page should look like this:

<div id="main-welcome">

<div id="footer-welcome">
    Friends Ireland © [php function=5] | Terms and Conditions | Privacy and Cookies | Contact Us
    </div>

</div>

The CSS I used to style the footer text is as follows:

#footer-welcome {
    margin:2em 0;
    text-align:center;
    }
    #footer-welcome a {
    color:#777 !important;
    }

You can add anything in the #main-welcome div when editing your Welcome page from wordpress. I haven’t tried it, but I guess that you can take the original Welcome page code (the one you copied to notepad earlier) and paste it in there. I’m not sure how it will show but I’m sure a bit of fine-tuning of CSS will get you to your end result.

Hope this works out well for you; I’ll let you know about the member’s home page I mentioned shortly.

frien337
    Participant

The Members Home Page I was talking about is the “Home” page a user sees when he logs into my site. It basically just shows stuff like the newest members, latest forum pasts, as well as some important links like editing a profile, changing an avatar, account settings etc.
    Create an account an my site and you will see what I mean.

To create this page, simply create a new page in WordPress (“Pages > Add New”) with the content you want on the site’s home/member page. Once saved, you will need to get a plugin that re-directs the user to this page instead of the default profile page. The plugin I used for this is Peter’s Login Redirect (http://wordpress.org/plugins/peters-login-redirect/). Once installed, you simply paste the link that you want the user to be re-directed to you in the plugin’s settings (“Settings > Login/login Redirects”). It also also useful because you can create a good bye page too and redirect the user to this page when he logs out. When you’re on the plugin’s settings page you will see that you have many options for redirects based on specific roles, users, etc. I just added in my redirect URLs to the option called “All other users”.

One thing I noticed when using this plugin is that if you try to log in to your admin panel/dashboard, it will redirect you to the page you want all users re-directed to. This is not a problem and once re-directed/logged in, type the admin dashboard URL (www.yoursite.com/wp-admin) into the same browser.

All the best with your site 🙂

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi, With PMPRO you can restrict access to Buddypress pages from Sweetdate – Memberships
    All other pages have a individual setting to set which members can access it. By default users will be redirected to the Memberships levels page to subscribe

---

Abe
    Keymaster

Wow @frien337 nice detailing 😉

---

nusolutions
    Participant

Phase I Ver1 of my Sweet Date Project:
    Theme: Motorcycle Dating & Social Networking Community

It’s still a work in progress as I’m working thru a few functionality related issues.

Feedback and suggestions appreciated. Be gentle as it’s my first. :-{]>

nusolutions
    Participant

Yea Very WOW! Much appreciated Sinse frien337! Gonna give this a shot as see how goes.

1. I had the same idea to give away 100 free accounts for the “year” to my first 100 registrants of a Premium plan but thinking about it now 1000 sounds better. If it’s successful then I can look forward to maybe another 1000 registrants next year and so on, which would be something nice to look forward to every year.

2. I’m using the BuddyPress Login Redirect plugin which only gives the ability to select where to send users after they log into the site. I’ll look into the one you mentioned as I need to have separate Home page views for visitors and members.

Member pages
    This is what I call the Home page for logged in users. So if a visitor comes to the site they get basic teaser content. Once registered a user is automatically redirected to their profile page. What I need is for them to get a different view when, or should, the click to visit the Home page. In this view they see news, events, member info, grids, carousels, the works.
    I get creating a new page can’t wrap my head around linking to the different home page.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide the detailed instructions.

frien337
    Participant

Thanks nusolutions.

Hope you get it working too 🙂

I think 1000 members is a good number before I start to charge people. Reason being is that I couldn’t imagine anyone subscribing to my site if I only had very few members.

I’ve never used the BuddyPress Login Redirect plugin before, but when I look at the plugin’s details it sounds as if it only allows you to redirect a user to a choice of four pages (profile, activity, etc.) whereas the plugin I use, Peter’s Login Redirect, actually allows you to paste in the URL of the page you want to direct a user to – so basically any page on your site 🙂

Here’s an example of my home page:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/migrzhteg95tpox/screenshot-homepage.PNG
    I am still working on adding a few more things so excuse the blank areas 🙂 That page was s standard page in WordPress (with no sidebar) and I simply added in some widgets. To add the widgets, I used a plugin called “AMR Shortcode Any Widget” (http://webdesign.anmari.com/1649/shortcode-any-widget/) – it basically allows you to call in any widget with a shortcode.

frien337
    Participant

@nusolutions – forgot to mention that I like your site; especially what you did with the icons that shows the total members, number of woman, men online 🙂 One thing, would you not consider hiding the admin toolbar for standard users? For me, not having this, gives the site a better and cleaner feel.
    (see “WordPress > Sweetdate > Miscellaneous > Admin Toolbar” to disable)

djtreble12
    Participant

Hey, everyone I am following the convo via email and a lot of good tips here. Thanks for all the information. I am also thinking about doing 1,000 members free my question is how do I keep count and also does anyone have issue with bots/spam sign-ups if so how do you deal with that issue.

frien337
    Participant

Hi djtreble12,

I’m keeping track of my members by watching the “Members in total” icon on the welcome screen. The moment it reaches 1000 (give or take) I will switch it over to a payment model. As for the bot problem, the solution that has worked for me is to use the following two plugins:

http://www.pixeljar.net/2012/09/19/eliminate-buddypress-spam-registrations/
    http://bungeshea.com/plugins/bp-security-check/

I’ve used them for the last few weeks and I haven’t even had one bot sign-up yet 🙂

csme
    Participant

@frien337

I love your site. I can see a lot of time and effort went into using the awesome sweetdate theme and giving it your own unique look and feel.

I especially love your members directory page, it looks great. Care to share how you achieved the look? 😀

Well done on the site, i got quite a few irish friends, i’ll give them the heads up.

frien337
    Participant

Hi CSME, glad you liked it – there’s a tidied up version coming out in the next few days. 🙂

Sure, I can share this with you. I just used a bit of CSS to re-arrange the way in which the member blocks are showing. Here’s all the CSS that I have used on that page:

#search-bar {background:transparent;}
    .directory .header-bg {height:15.5em;}
    .directory #main-content {margin:-4.7em auto 0;}
    #horizontal_search .current {background:#fff;border:1px solid #D4D4D4;border-radius:0.2em;box-shadow:0 1px 4px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.13) inset;}
    #horizontal_search .selector {border:none;}
    .directory .two .button {float:none;}
    .directory .item-list-tabs,.bp-member-dir-buttons .icon-angle-right,.directory .search-body {display:none;}
    .directory .member-block {background:#F2F2F2;border:1px solid #E6E6E6;border-radius:0.2em;float:left;height:9.5em;margin:0.7em;padding:1em;text-align:left;width:31.3%;}
    .directory .avatar {float:left;}
    .directory #member-meta {float:left;padding:0 0 0 1em;width:64%;}
    .directory #member-meta h5 {float:left;margin:0 0 0.4em;width:100%;}
    .directory #member-meta h5 a {color:#EF6A8A !important;font-weight:bold;}
    .directory .bp-member-dir-buttons {float:left;margin:1.6em 0 0 1em;width:62%;}
    .directory .block-button,.directory .button,.directory .send-message {float:left;}
    .bp-member-dir-buttons div.generic-button a,.bp-member-dir-buttons .button {background:#49AAD0;border:1px solid #49AAD0;border-radius:4px;color:#fff !important;font-size:11px;font-weight:bold; line-height:1em;margin:0 0.4em 0 0;padding:0.5em 0.9em;width:auto;}
    .bp-member-dir-buttons div.generic-button a:hover,.bp-member-dir-buttons .button:hover {background:#ccc;border:1px solid #ccc;}
    .directory .online,.directory .offline {border:0.2em solid #fff !important;height:1em !important;width:1em !important;left:0.3em;position:relative !important;top:-7.2em !important;}
    .directory .offline {background:#FF7F00 !important;}
    .directory #search-bar {margin:0 auto;width:70em;}
    .directory #search-bar .two {width:20%;}

There’s probably some redundant CSS there that needs to be cleaned up and you may need to tweak it to match your colour shceme. Anyway, if you past that in your childtheme’s style.css file then you should get something similar to mine.

I also removed the “Add Friend” button by adding this code to my child theme’s function.php file:

/* REMOVE FRIENDSHIP BUTTONS FROM MEMEBERS PAGE */
    function remove_friendship_button() {
    remove_filter( 'bp_directory_members_item_last','kleo_bp_member_dir_friend_button', 11);
    }
    add_action( 'bp_directory_members_item_last', 'remove_friendship_button' );

The “Block” button came by default after installing the BuddyBlock plugin (http://www.philopress.com/products/buddyblock/). Let me know if you get stuck and I’ll try to help out 🙂

Toki
    Participant

Hi,
    I am working on this site: http://loving.hu
    I am open to any suggestion or idea.

Thanx

macdaddy88
    Participant

Love your members “home” page. How did you go about creating that kind of a layout thats so different than the rest of the templates? I realize you made a new page from what you outlined above, but I couldn’t even remotely get all those attributes found to add..

frien337
    Participant

Hi macdaddy88, glad you liked it 🙂

The first thing I did was remove the sidebar from the page. To do this, go and edit the page you created and set the “Template” option (right-hand side of screen) to “Full-width Page Template, No Sidebar”.
    Once I removed, just use some HTML to create a new layout for your page. I have two columns, one smaller one on the left (contains the user options, quick-links, etc.) and a main column that contains all of the other stuff (newest members, latest forum posts, etc.).

<div id="col1">
    ** smaller left column **
    </div>

<div id="col2">
    ** main column to the right**
    </div>

Just use some CSS to set the width of each column. All the modules (newest members, latest discussions, etc.) have been called in using a plugin called “amr shortcode any widget“. It allows you to call in plugins from your widgets screen using a shortcode.

You will notice that there are some dynamic links on my home page (edit profile, change photo, etc.). Each of these links contain the logged in user’s name; for example, the edit profile link “www.yoursite.com/members/USERNAME/profile/edit”. I was not able to add php directly to a page so I used a plugin called “Allow PHP in Posts and Pages“. You simply add the PHP to the plugin and it creates a shortcode that you can add to your page. I added the following PHP to the plugin to get the logged in user’s name:

global $current_user;
    if ( isset($current_user) ) {
    echo $current_user->user_login;
    }

It gave me the shortcode “[php function=1]” to use wherever I want to call in the user’s name. So, to add it to the URL I simply did this:

http://www.youriste.come/members/%5Bphp function=1]/profile/edit

That’s it’s basically. The layout, style design, etc. depends on you and I hope that this post helps you get that done. Let me know if you get stuck anyway 🙂

heebeha
    Participant

Where did you get the images for the Det starter med en Drøm section?

pefman
    Participant

Still work in progress, but its coming along!

http://mycravingheart.com/

pefman
    Participant

I guess most of you guys are using shared webhosting, i have mine hosted on a VPS. Using cache, nginx and cloudflare.
    This way i can reach sub 700ms loadingtimes.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dwenKK/http://mycravingheart.com

kpkrew
    Participant
     iamj_kim
    Participant

@pefman,

Your site has by far the fastest loading times here. Can you share what VPS hosting company, package/price you are using to achieve those blazing speeds? Thanks.

jonpaulb
    Participant

So I have been pretty hard on the admins here but they are all pretty great. The response time could be a little better but still good.

For a client I created a mens nudist site http://www.MyDanglyParts.com I kept pretty true to the layout/design but added serveral BP plugins to flesh (no pun intended) it out. We went live on July 1, 2014 and an am just shy of 300 members already. Due to the slow speeds of the site (first complaint from members) so I went to a dedicated hosting company and upgraded to 8gig of ram. They also helped me with a few of the suggestions from the different page speed rating sites.

Currently we are at a 93 (A) from Gtmetrix. We do have an Amazon s3 but apparently with the child themes, its not able to serve those so I guess our speed is maxed out for now. The host said that the basic server processing speed is fine but the code for the site has some redundancies and would only benefit with more ram.

Two best plugins I am using are Wang Guard (zero spam signups) and W3 Total Cache. Along with some custom code found in the forums, the site is getting great reviews and the client is happy. The minimal sign up fee (there are free accounts available) more than covers the cost of the dedicated server and for now all is well and happy.

http://www.MyDanglyParts.com (nudist site)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Sweetdate – WordPress’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?