This topic has 15 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years by Mike.

• Author
     Mike
    Participant

Is there a way to get the BuddyPress Nicknames to display across the entire website instead of just BuddyPress parts? For example, when someone does something related to BuddyPress, like posting a new update, their Nickname shows (Michael Pfaff), but in the same feed immediately after perhaps if they update a forum post it uses their @name.

Is there a way to make this uniform? If it’s impossible to display BuddyPress nicknames, can I just display the login name?

sharmstr

I cant reproduce your issue. See the test I did attached.

very bottom (old name) was before changing my nickname and setting it as my display name
    then i changed it
    then i posted an update (uses new name)
    then i posted a new forum topic (uses new name)
    then i replied to my first topic (uses new name)

Give me a scenario that I can reproduce and I’ll be happy to take a look at it.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Mike
    Participant

On what page do you set it as Display Name? Maybe that’s my issue.

sharmstr

Profile > edit > name on the front end

Users > your account > display name in the backend.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

Mike
    Participant

Here’s what I see on Profile / Edit:

Note my name set as Michael Pfaff. When I update something pertaining to buddypress, that shows. Otherwise, it shows mike or @mike.

Attachments:
     Mike
    Participant

Another example from activity stream:

Attachments:
     sharmstr

You didnt say your profile header. You only said the activity stream. The @mike is your username ( @ mention name). Even if someone typed in @michael pfaff to mention you, it will automatically change to @mike. That’s how buddypress works. What that said, do a search here. There’s been a few topic on what files you can change to change the profile header.

sharmstr

Regarding your second image example of the activity. Give me a scenario where I can reproduce it. I cant on my site as I’ve shown in my first response.

sharmstr

Also, have you verified that John didnt change his display name in 20 minutes that past between those to activities?

Mike
    Participant

I think you are correct about this issue. For some reason, even though in my front end profile I had set my name as Michael Pfaff (and it worked for the BuddyPress stuff), on the backend, when I looked at my Display name / Nickname it just had Mike / mike. When I added Michael Pfaff as a nickname, it updated correctly.

So, to isolate the issue: how do I confirm that when someone updates their name on the front end (Profile -> Edit) it also updates on the backend (User -> Nickname / Display name publicly as)?

sharmstr

it did on mine. i’ve done it several times to test.

Mike
    Participant

Yup. I just tested it. Not working for me when I use the front-end to change my name, only works on the backend. Is there a way for me to check / update the file that handles that?

Mike
    Participant

So, I just edited my username on this forum, and there is an option with dropdown to change Display Name. That’s not on my BuddyPress site. Can I add that and the Nickname option on the BuddyPress profile?

sharmstr

Because this site isnt using buddypress. Buddypress doesnt have that option. Buddypress has functions that takes whatever you put in the name field on the frontend and changes your first name (and your last name if there are 2 words) and changes the ‘nickanme’ field. name (front end) = nickname (backend). I’ve tested this on several sites. If that’s not happening for you perhaps you have a plugin conflict or some other issue.

Kleo doesnt handle any of this. You can test this by temporarily enabling the WP 2015 theme and testing again. Perhaps you can find some custom code or a better answer on the buddypress forums.

sharmstr

Just thought of something. do you have profile syncing turned on in your buddypress settings? I didnt think about it before because its on by default.

Mike
    Participant

That was it! I’m an idiot. Sorry! Thanks so much!!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘General questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?