This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years by SQadmin.

• Author
     rudik2
    Participant

I do not understand why the install sweetdate-child theme? Surely there is some logic, please explain. That topic is to be active?

adam
    Participant

sweet-date child theme needs to be activated with the sweetdate theme installed. this way, you can make any customizations to the child theme that you want and they won’t get lost when you upgrade to the newest release of the sweetdate theme.

rudik2
    Participant

Which is the main theme, the one that I publish under its domain and which is only to modify and update?

adam
    Participant

sweetdate-child is only to modify and should be the activated one. sweetdate is the one that you upgrade when there is a new release.

adam
    Participant

just to be clear – sweetdate-child is the main theme to be activated (and can be customized by you without losing any changes when sweetdate is upgraded).

rudik2
    Participant

So – sweetdate-child strapped my online domain and edit, personalize but “sweetdate ” theme not edit and personalize?

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    You install both themes but activate the sweetdate-child.
    You don’t need to modify main parent theme files. If you want to modify a template file, copy it to sweetdate-child theme and change it there.

“A WordPress child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality of another theme, called the parent theme, and allows you to modify, or add to, the functionality of that parent theme. A child theme is the safest and easiest way to modify an existing theme, whether you want to make a few tiny changes or extensive changes. Instead of modifying the theme files directly, you can create a child theme. A child theme inherits all of the templates and functionality from its parent theme, but allows you to make changes to the parent theme because code in the child theme overwrites code in the parent theme. ”
    from http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     joeldecker
    Participant

I am having some trouble activating the child-theme. I have installed both, current release, and when I activate the child theme I get the following message;
    ———————–
    Warning: require_once(framework/constants.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/82/11574682/html/wp-content/themes/sweetdate-child/functions.php on line 44

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘framework/constants.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php’) in /home/content/82/11574682/html/wp-content/themes/sweetdate-child/functions.php on line 44
    ———————–
    I love the idea of the child theme, making all my changes there and just re-installing all the new updates simply by installing the parent theme, and have that make automatically update the child theme. But somewhere I got caught in this loop and can’t quite get out of it. I tried deleting both from the server and re-instaling both, but got the same message.
    Thanks for your help.

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    You don’t have to copy anything from the main functions.php. In the child theme leave it empty if you don’t have any code to change. You only add code if you want to override something. It seems by the error that you are copying the code form the original theme
    Make sure to remove the child theme you have now because it seems to have wrong code in the functions.php and install the one provided in the package.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     joeldecker
    Participant

Hi, thank you. that helps!

rudik2
    Participant

I made a few modifications to the code. When you upgrade to 2.1 is losing my modification. What can I do to not lose my modification when i update sweetdate theme?
    Modifications i created in active SweetDate-child

SQadmin
    Keymaster

Hi, You only have to update the main theme. What file loses the modification?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Sweetdate – WordPress’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?