This topic has 87 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years by Kieran.

• Author

Tagged: 

JoYagusa
    Participant

ok man thanks for the reply 🙂

rudik2
    Participant

Sharmstr good job!
    I have one question. How to add before number with notification some text for example “notification”??
    Please look in my project: http://s27.postimg.org/a9p08f2ub/Bez_nazwy_7.jpg

Regards,
    Tomasz

Kieran
    Participant

You can add any text you wish before the li opens.

Example

return $items."MYTEXTHERE<li id='menu-bp-notifications' class='menupop'>

rudik2
    Participant

THX. I see one problem. When i logout i see “number” notifications still in menu.
    How to fix it?

Kieran
    Participant

I found that issue too, but a quick get around for me was just to wrap it in a if logged in

if ( is_user_logged_in() ) { CODE_FOR_NOTIFICATIONS_HERE }

rudik2
    Participant

When i wrote before <li, text is after “number” and only in number i can “click”. Text is not active. I would like to text will be befor number and active button.
    Sorry for my enlish.

Kieran
    Participant

You can add it before the span then which will make it clickable (you’ll probably need a space at the end of the word too)

rudik2
    Participant

Wow, working great! Thank You! One more question. How to edit number backgrund color when is 0 notification?

rudik2
    Participant

Sorry for my english. Where i can edit background color (number) when is 0 notification?

Kieran
    Participant

You can play around with this CSS, first is for state without anything (so, 0) and second is for state with notifications (1 +)

#ab-pending-notifications {
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #ddd;
    border-radius: 10px;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    display: inline;
    font-size: 10px;
    font-weight: bold;
    padding: 2px 5px;
    text-shadow: none;
    }

#ab-pending-notifications.alert {
    background-color: #1FB3DD;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    }

derekmelo
    Participant

Hello guys, it worked very well here too, but how can I add the notification dropdown?

Thanks guys!

Boblebad
    Participant

Will this work with the Sweet Date theme as well ?

sharmstr

@derekmelo You’d have to modify the code to loop through the notifications and echo out the “li”s for each.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

mckown
    Participant

Here’s an update:
    Includes the word “Messages” before the bubble
    Displays just in top nav menu and for logged in users only (if you want to switch to the other menu change ‘top’ to ‘primary’

COPY CODE

add_filter('wp_nav_menu_items','add_notification_to_custom_menu', 2, 2);

function add_notification_to_custom_menu( $items, $args ) {
    if ( is_user_logged_in() ) {
    if( $args->theme_location == 'top' ){
    	$notifications = bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user( bp_loggedin_user_id() );
    	$count         = ! empty( $notifications ) ? count( $notifications ) : 0;
    	if ($count > 0 ) {
    		$alert = 'alert';
    		$pending = 'pending-count';
    	} else {
    		$alert = 'no-alert';
    		$pending = 'count';
    	}
    	return $items."<li id='menu-bp-notifications' class='menu pop'><a href='".bp_loggedin_user_domain()."notifications/'>Messages <span id='ab-pending-notifications' class='" . $pending . " " . $alert . "'>".$count."</a></li>";
    }
    }
    	return $items;

}

mckown
    Participant

still one glitch I can see .. Everything looks great in Safari but Chrome & IE are having trouble. They’re displaying the Site Title in the Nav … once the notifications are read though it goes away .. how I have no clue

update .. and 30 seconds later it stopped doing it without me changing a single line of code .. God I hate technology LOL

catholicauthor
    Participant

Hi, seems like a great addition! I tried adding to to my child functions.php, and Dreamweaver says there’s some error on line 16 (?), starting on this line ‘return $items. “<li…’

It’s thrown me a 500; any further recommendations? I have BuddyPress Live Notification installed. Should that snippet, when added to functions.php automatically insert something in the menu?

sharmstr

need more detail. ‘some error’ doesn’t tell us very much 🙂

I have it working with Live Notification, but had to hack it to get it to work. Live Notification updates it in the Admin bar.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

mckown
    Participant

the closing li is getting stripped out of the code I posted above for some reason .. just close the li on line 15 above

catholicauthor
    Participant

seems to work great!

mckown
    Participant

Glitch … Log in as a non-admin user on either Chrome or IE .. the styling gets thrown off if the bubble is in the top menu and the website title is printed in the menu regardless of where the notification bubble is set to.

You will not see this glitch if you’re logged into your site as an admin … Any ideas???

designing
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I thought this was a nice little addition to the theme. So I’ve added the code followed all your instructions. Now I’m getting a complete white blank screen. Any ideas 🙂

ThanX

sharmstr

@mckown. I’m not having that issue. Works fine for me in all browsers and all levels of users, logged-in or not.

sharmstr

@designing It could be any number of things, but usually has something to do with either not copying the entire code OR when you copied it it put in backticks instead of single quotes.

designing
    Participant

Hi Sharmstr,

Really appreciate your reply. I had to deleted the child theme to get back which wasn’t a problem, and tried it again but got the same result 🙁 So I think I better wait until the release it on a new update.

Thanks for you help though

Cheers

catholicauthor
    Participant

Hey guys, it’s working fine, but it’s displaying to logged out users with the last notification count. Thoughts?
    http://catholicauthor.startlogic.com/journal/members/dan/

sharmstr

You need to wrap it in a is_user_logged_in conditional check

COPY CODE

if ( is_user_logged_in() ) { CODE_FOR_NOTIFICATIONS_HERE }

catholicauthor
    Participant

Fantastic. Thanks!

Splendor
    Participant

Hi,

Have you updated your pastebin with all the wrap ups and so on? So i don’t take one that doesn’t work correctly..

Awesome idea guys, looks great. Any chance someone could help me remove the notifications from the top menu, but keep in the main menu?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Awesome idea guys, looks great. Any chance someone could help me remove the notifications from the top menu, but keep in the main menu?

Thanks!

Attachments:
     Splendor
    Participant

You have tested it now, it works fine?

I can get it to populate in both the top nav and main nav, but would like to remove from the main nav. Other than that, implementing and styling is very straight forward.

Abe
    Keymaster

Hi guys and girls
    We implemented this functionality and it will be available in next theme version. Current version is 1.5
    I attached 2 previews, one from admin – Appearance – menus and one from the front-end

Big thanks to @sharmstr and you other contributors

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Attachments:
     Abe
    Keymaster

We are working on a live update feature right now that it will auto-refresh the count in the menu.
    Will keep you posted.

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

Abe
    Keymaster

Wohoo. We added live AJAX notifications and some other features. Check out the attach. It will be available in 1.6 coming around 15th July

---

Attachments:
     Splendor
    Participant

Nice stuff! 🙂

sandervm86
    Participant

Very nice can’t wait till 15 th July!

Kieran
    Participant

Eeee I’m chomping at the bit here – any news on 1.6 release date?

Abe
    Keymaster

Sorry for the delay, coming on Tuesday

---

Is anyone else getting some funky header alignment with the new update?

Attachments:
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The forum ‘KLEO’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?