This topic has 21 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years by mitchcan.

• Author
     webmaster-sw
    Participant

Similar to Buddypress Like plugin,
    but compatible with KLEO

Strothi
    Participant

That would be really brilliant, Buddypress Like is unfortunately not working so if this were to be integrated, I’d be very happy!

mitchcan
    Participant

This is an important consideration… while BuddyPress Like DOES actually function, where it has a major issue is that it does NOT respect the privacy aspect of the Group. Meaning a ‘Like’ in a Private group is shared in the Site-wide activity stream, and the associated post/update is able to be seen by all users, even if they are not entitled to participate in that Private Group.

I’ve reported this to the dev, and others have confirmed the issue as well, but the dev seems uninterested in addressing the issue.

Just something to be aware of it you bake this into Kleo — the relationship of the Like action and the Privacy of group membership really needs to be taken into consideration.

Hope you add this. Thanks.

procinc
    Participant

I think this is the ‘Favorites’ link in BP. It currently lets you favorite activity stream elements like comments and replies. It would be great if you could add this as a shortcode to anything on the site. For example, a blog post, a page, a forum, etc. You would be able to ‘favorite’ or ‘like’ any page or object.

sharmstr

@procinc – The like is different. Sure you can favorite something but its very basic. What people want is a way to like an activity, see who else has liked it and trigger notifications.

You can already favorite a forum topic and kleo has page and post likes built in.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

procinc
    Participant

Can you please tell me how to do it? How would you add the favorite/like icon to a blog post? or to a portfolio item page?

Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, see the attachments here – sn_fav1.jpg is the star icon that only appears in my activity stream (how do you add this icon to other pages/posts so that users can like other pages/posts?).

And sn_fav2.jpg is the ‘Favorites’ section of the dashboard.

Thank you for the support!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     sharmstr

The kleo likes for post and pages aren’t integrated into BP.

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

This support site is not about custom work. If you need custom development please contact cornel@seventhqueen.com

bryanwirth
    Participant

did anybody ever get the plugin to work with kleo? it seems that kleo theme is the only theme so far that has issues with this plugin? anybody found a fix somewhere? thanks

bryanwirth
    Participant

i found it after looking around, change in the plugin scripts.php:

add_action( ‘get_header’ , ‘bp_like_insert_head’ ); to get_footer like that:
    add_action( ‘get_footer’ , ‘bp_like_insert_head’ );

right now i dont have any apparent conflicts (yet)

sharmstr

The issue isnt with conflicts, the issue is…. https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/upload-images#post-66108

So, feel free to use it, but it killed one of my sites. AND its not a Kleo issue.

mitchcan
    Participant

Any movement on this one? Can I just add 100 votes for it and let’s go. 🙂 I’m tired of trying to use duct tape and bubble gum to piece together three plugins to do what I want, and still not get it done.

An expansion of your existing Like concept (you’re part way there!), which would include counts, provides for widget placement, allows time parameter variables for voting and counts, feeds to the BP activity stream, and can be used in BP and bbpress, as well as Woo and other CPT’s.

There, simple enough, right? 🙂

Put it out as a Premium plugin, I’m good with that.

Trust me, I have *scoured* the WP repo, github and all over for a solution… yours would be the first one done right.

Let me know if you want the details of the feature set. I’ve messed with about 15 related plugins to know what they are missing. 🙂

Thanks.

sharmstr

hey @mitchcan – If you had to pick one like plugin to use, which one would it be? This one seems pretty comprehensive: https://wordpress.org/plugins/likebtn-like-button/

mitchcan
    Participant

Hey @sharmstr I looked at that one too. Yes, very comprehensive, in fact, in my test notes, I use the words ‘almost overkill’ 🙂

I had two issues with it. 1) to get the full feature set we wanted, it was $39 and 2) that was an annual license.

The plugin has great functionality, but I hesitate to go down that road for a Like mechanism.

At this point, WTI Like Pro ($20) is the one I’ve been closest to pulling the trigger on. But I struggle with their position of zero interest in adding their really quality features to work IN the BuddyPress activity stream. (Likes of posts update to the BP stream, but no option to Like BP/bbpress activity).

So I just keep coming back to this thread, hoping that @abe has decided to jump on this opportunity. 🙂

Abe
    Keymaster

thanks @mitchcan for the valuable suggestions. I will talk with @sharmstr and see how we will approach this.

All the best.

---
    @ SeventhQueen we do our best to have super happy customers. Thanks for being our customer.

mitchcan
    Participant

Hey @abe – happy to help. If you and @sharmstr want any of my test notes, I’m happy to share. I’ve looked at about 15 ‘likes’ plugins, and tested 6 or so extensively on the sandbox site. I have some Pros and Cons of each in my notes. LMK if you decide to proceed with this, I’m willing to help beta test if needed.

HDcms
    Participant
     mitchcan
    Participant

Ugh. Now the (Pro version of the) plugin that @sharmstr mentioned above https://wordpress.org/plugins/likebtn-like-button/ has added integration with myCred, another real solid benefit. I am really tempted to just plug my nose and purchase the damn thing.

More than anything (even the annual license), I think I hate the fact that the plugin has to connect to another server to work. That just fails the smell test for me.

C’mon @abe and @sharmstr tell me you are going to move this one to the top of the list, that you’ll charge us a small premium for it, but that’ll it will be ready to go here really soon. I have the credit card standing by. 🙂

sharmstr

I was looking into doing it but decided not to because of that plugin. Also, I tested the beta version of BP Like and they have finally fixed the multiple ajax calls issue.

HDcms
    Participant

Hi,
    WP is ulike
    independent
    top Rated
    compatible mycred

mitchcan
    Participant

Bummer, I get it though. I just felt you guys could have done a better and more economical job, since you already had a base likes mechanism.

I’m curious, why do you think there is the need to have a plugin use their server for the plugin to work? If they’re looking at making sure it’s properly licensed there are other ways to do that.

And I guess I’ll look at BP Like again too, but last I saw he still hadn’t resolved the privacy issues.

Thanks for having considered this.

parousia
    Participant

That like btn didnt work for me although had a lot of options, support weren’t very helpful at all with the issues I had. WP ULike is nice but a little limited.

None of the plugins manage to consolidate your likes into its own activity stream So user can look at what they have “liked” as buddypress does with its in built solution.

What makes the most sense is for kleo likes to integrate with the buddypress system as other plugins have done.

mitchcan
    Participant

Thought I would update this thread.

First, the dev for BuddyPress Like messaged that he has now added a check for the privacy issues that were at the root of the problem with his plugin in private groups. I have not tested, but thought I’d pass along for those interested.

Second, the devs at Likebtn have been ridiculously responsive to the requests I have made over the past month. They’ve added several critical features we wanted, including resolving the privacy issue and creating a way to modify the template that posts to BP.

I still hate that it is an annual license, but for $2 month, it’s by far the best thing going. I will be purchasing it for our use.

Thanks for your considering a tweak to your like mechanism as a plugin. If you release something later, we’ll for sure look at it, but we’ll go this way for now.

Keep up the good work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Feature requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?