This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years by Radu.

• Author
     massmonopoly
    Participant

We have a customer with a Kleo 2.4 installation along with BuddyPress. We started running into major issues where many IP’s were calling the same URL over and over again, often many times per second. We actually thought it was a DOS attack on the site until we started seeing the problem from our own office IP! That’s when we realized this must be something else.

The URL in question was always the same:

/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=kleo_bp_notifications_refresh&current=

From our office which has local network access to our data center, the requests could be as high as 10 – 15 per second from just one computer.

The result was that the server would quickly get overwhelmed with AJAX requests coming in as fast as they could the entire time that a user left their browser open to our customer’s site.

I tried disabling the notifications through the Kleo options by setting the number to 0 for no refresh, but it didn’t make any difference. At some point in my Google searching, I found someone mentioning having the Notifications menu item in the main menu having an effect if you didn’t have BuddyPress. While we did have BP, I decided to try it anyway. As soon as the menu item was removed, the problem went away.

It took several hours before all the people who had opened the site previous to the menu change closed their browsers or changed pages, but once they did, the problem has not returned and the site got noticeably more responsive.

While this prevented the problem, it did so by taking away a popular feature that our customer most definitely wants to use and which should work.

For reference, this is running on the customer’s CentOS 5-based LAMP server running the PHP53 package. We have also seen this during development running on an CentOS 7-based LAMP server.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Radu

Hi,

Please try to replace app.min.js and app.js files before that make a backup of actual files.

Similar problem here , you will find files attached to this post : https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/notifications-causes-508-error#post-55590

Let me know if this solve your problem.

Best regards

Radu

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
     massmonopoly
    Participant

Thank you, Radu. I will absolutely try that.

One question — are these 2 updated files now part of a release version of Kleo? If so, it might make more sense to run an upgrade than to just patch this one.

Thank you.

Radu

Hi,

That files are part of Kleo 2.4 or 2.4.1, now that files have another functionalities etc.

Just try that files to see if you bug it will be fixed.

Also, it’s recommended to keep the theme & plugins updated

Best regards

Radu

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Bugs & Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?