This topic has 26 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years by Laura.

• Author

Tagged: ,

scottmriley
    Participant

Please review this website and reply with suggestions to improve the VERY slow load times: http://itoto.org

After reviewing other posts with the same issue, I see that KLEO is a very heavy template, so many other purchasers have experienced similar problems.

Hopefully you’ve addressed this and can offer some relatively easy solutions.  I purchased this theme and used it to build a website for a client who is pretty unhappy right now.  I would really appreciate a quick and thorough response.

Thank you!

Laura

Hello, if you check out all posts regarding slow times you should see that its usually the server or some heavy plugins and KLEO ends being very light.
    Please do review those posts again as you will see that quite everyone resolves it deactivating some plugins, installing w3 total cache or migrating to another server

Please take the time to read carefully:
    https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/please-make-my-website-faster-requests

https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/slowest-theme-ever#post-74406

https://archived.seventhqueen.com/forums/topic/after-theme-performance-installation-rt-media-is-slow

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

Laura Solanes - Graphic Designer and Web Designer

Please be patient as I try to answer each topic as fast as i can.

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

Always happy to help you 🙂

scottmriley
    Participant

Thank you. While waiting for a response I did a few things that have seemed to help quite a bit. Following is a list that may be helpful to others:

Decrease WordPress Site Loading Times
    Courtesy of HostMetro.com Support!

1) Upgrade your WordPress installation to the latest version if you haven’t already.
    This goes for themes as well. Remove any themes you are not using.
    2) Remove all nonessential plugins. Make sure the remaining are upgraded.
    3) Only activate plug-ins that are needed.
    For example, you don’t need to activate a theme previewing plug-in if you are not planning to change a theme. You don’t need to activate a WordPress database backup plug-in if you are not auto-scheduling a backup, and so on.
    4) Install WP SuperCache if you haven’t already. [Most Important One]
    It is clear that the WP SuperCache has great performance while having the lowest overall resource hit on the server. It should always be using the least amount of memory and CPU time that it possibly can.
    5) Reduce PHP/Database calls as much as you can.
    Most CPU usage is caused by the number of PHP and database calls. Using WP SuperCache helps this tremendously, but sometimes it can’t be helped that your blog still has to do some PHP/Database calls. If you can reduce it though, do it. For example if a plug-in allows you to set an option whether to write a log or not (like number of spam comments caught, etc.), then disable it. This will reduce the number of database insertion/update calls.
    6) Reduce the number of widgets and other components as much as possible.
    Although putting a weather widget or other widgets are cool, do you really need them? Besides cluttering your blog and turning visitors off, it can also put a strain on the server. Turn them off!
    7) Repair and optimize your database.
    It is updated a lot of times throughout the day, whether you’ve posted or not. There’s a lot of chance for errors there. The process can be completed through phpMyAdmin.
    8) Close any Post Writing Pages when you’re not using them.
    WordPress will Auto-Save and it uses server resources and builds up CPU usage.
    9) Turn off the Formatting Options in Settings
    In WordPress, under Settings->Writing uncheck both Formatting options. Especially turn off “WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically”.
    10) Don’t post via e-mail/word.
    Write your posts in the Write interface and copy/paste it into Word when you’re done or when you take a break. Don’t make WP spend time parsing your Word file.
    11) Use Summaries in Feeds.
    Under Settings->Reading, select use “Summaries in Feeds”.
    12) Under Settings-Discussion, turn off any e-mail notifications you don’t need.
    Especially redundant ones. If you go to your site often, don’t worry about having it e-mail you for comments. Just turn that off.
    13) Reduce image/graphics/video/flash sizes.
    Use Photoshop, Gimp, etc. to reduce the image size.
    14) Rename the file wp-cron.php to wp-cron.php.bak.

Laura

Hello, will add it to faq, thanks you so much 🙂 If there is something i can do let me know

Hi there!!! Help others from the community and mark any reply as solution if it solved your question. Mark as a solution

If you like the theme or the support you've received please consider leaving us a review on Themeforest!

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

My site just started to go very slow – over past 48 hours, checked your list – still insanely slow – no extra plugins. seems to crash in speed when rtmedia is enabled… any ideas?

markob17
    Participant

I just updated to Kleo 3.9.1 and now my site is super slow as well. Like really slow and I never had this problem before updating to 3.9.1. 3.9 there was no slowdown, but 3.9.1 slowdown started occurring. Ugh. What has changed from 3.9 to 3.9.1 that could cause my site to slow to a crawl? Nothing else has changed. This is frustrating.

scottmriley
    Participant

tattoobooksonline:

Obviously the rtMedia plugin is conflicting with something. What theme are you using – Kleo? The moderators here might be able to help you. You probably also need to try the old standby of turning plugins off and on, to see what is conflicting.

Did you install and setup WP SuperCache? That helped the most.

My host server techs also bumped my php ini limit up to 1024 (1 gb). You could see if your host will do that also. It helped.

scottmriley
    Participant

I think that just happened to me too! It slowed way down after I updated, but I didn’t put it together. I tried to change some settings in my Super Cache plugin and I think I now screwed up my htaccess file as well. I’ve had Kleo for almost a year now and it’s been a continual pain.

markob17
    Participant

scottmriley – I’m not sure what it is. I am always quick to blame a new theme update but could be a plugin that needs to be updated to be compatible with the latest release, or maybe my server is slow today or something throwing me off, I did recently get spammed on another site hosted on my VPS. I’m going to wait and see for the next day what happens. For example, I use Geo my WP and the Kleo add-on for geo searches in my members directory, so could be that for all I know. Either way I am frustrated. If my site was production right now I’d be very hesitant to install any theme updates right away, especially without thorough testing. I’m still toying with Super Cache to get it to work as we speak. I have it setup mod_rewrite and to not cache for logged in users, seems to mess things up when caching stuff for logged in users. I use it for my blog pages mainly that will be open to the public, but not for member pages, activity stream, etc. If you find anything out, please let me know, and I will do the same. Thanks.

scottmriley
    Participant

Yeah, well my site is totally screwed up now. I tried mod_rewrite and had problems, so I tried to to back to PHP, but mod_rewrite apparently writes rules that cannot be changed. It said something about having to make changes to the htaccess file. None of my pages will open now, other than the front page. I get this message when I try to open a page from the front menu or page preview in the admin panel:

Not Found
    The requested URL /about-itoto-house/ was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Stupid me! I shouldn’t mess with things I don’t understand.

markob17
    Participant

You should be able to fix it by using ftp to access your server and editing the .htaccess file. Within that file you can delete the following:

COPY CODE

# BEGIN WPSuperCache
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    #If you serve pages from behind a proxy you may want to change 'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on' to something more sensible
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*[^/]$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*//.*$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !POST
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !.*=.*
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Wap-Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*(2.0\ MMP|240x320|400X240|AvantGo|BlackBerry|Blazer|Cellphone|Danger|DoCoMo|Elaine/3.0|EudoraWeb|Googlebot-Mobile|hiptop|IEMobile|KYOCERA/WX310K|LG/U990|MIDP-2.|MMEF20|MOT-V|NetFront|Newt|Nintendo\ Wii|Nitro|Nokia|Opera\ Mini|Palm|PlayStation\ Portable|portalmmm|Proxinet|ProxiNet|SHARP-TQ-GX10|SHG-i900|Small|SonyEricsson|Symbian\ OS|SymbianOS|TS21i-10|UP.Browser|UP.Link|webOS|Windows\ CE|WinWAP|YahooSeeker/M1A1-R2D2|iPhone|iPod|Android|BlackBerry9530|LG-TU915\ Obigo|LGE\ VX|webOS|Nokia5800).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_user_agent} !^(w3c\ |w3c-|acs-|alav|alca|amoi|audi|avan|benq|bird|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-|dang|doco|eric|hipt|htc_|inno|ipaq|ipod|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-|lg/u|maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|palm|pana|pant|phil|play|port|prox|qwap|sage|sams|sany|sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo|teli|tim-|tosh|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|wap-|wapa|wapi|wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda\ |xda-).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*(2.0\ MMP|240x320|400X240|AvantGo|BlackBerry|Blazer|Cellphone|Danger|DoCoMo|Elaine/3.0|EudoraWeb|Googlebot-Mobile|hiptop|IEMobile|KYOCERA/WX310K|LG/U990|MIDP-2.|MMEF20|MOT-V|NetFront|Newt|Nintendo\ Wii|Nitro|Nokia|Opera\ Mini|Palm|PlayStation\ Portable|portalmmm|Proxinet|ProxiNet|SHARP-TQ-GX10|SHG-i900|Small|SonyEricsson|Symbian\ OS|SymbianOS|TS21i-10|UP.Browser|UP.Link|webOS|Windows\ CE|WinWAP|YahooSeeker/M1A1-R2D2|iPhone|iPod|Android|BlackBerry9530|LG-TU915\ Obigo|LGE\ VX|webOS|Nokia5800).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_user_agent} !^(w3c\ |w3c-|acs-|alav|alca|amoi|audi|avan|benq|bird|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-|dang|doco|eric|hipt|htc_|inno|ipaq|ipod|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-|lg/u|maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|palm|pana|pant|phil|play|port|prox|qwap|sage|sams|sany|sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo|teli|tim-|tosh|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|wap-|wapa|wapi|wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda\ |xda-).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html" [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WPSuperCache

If it is still broken, you may have to remove the (BE SURE TO BACK THEM UP FIRST) advanced-cache.php file and possibly the wp-cache-config.php (will lose your settings though by removing wp-cache-config.php) from the wp-content directory. Once that is done the site should work again. If not, deactivate WP Super Cache before making these changes. AFter this is done, you can reactivate the plugin and re-set it up.

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

I spent about 2 hours – removing all plugins and going over each one – one – by – one and talking with hosting…. def some glitch with rtmedia and kleo again

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

installing a cache plugin helped quite a bit – but seems a bit un acceptable for speed. i am looking to dump this theme – honestly – seems to be too much

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

i am slowly trying to backup all my posts and get out of kleo… this is def a new issue – kleo has always been slow – but something is causing heck, i have other custom scripts and w/ 4 new users daily complaining – i cant deal…

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

it IS a beautiful theme – just wish it was smooth and faster

markob17
    Participant

May I ask how many members you have? Also, what kind of server/hosting? Heard buddypress in general needs robust hosting.

Thanks.

Laura

Hello, please everyone that has a speed issue, postadmin credentials in a private reply and i will checkit out, from my experience,its rtmedia, i have a development site with KLEO, latest version, super fast, then turn on rtmedia and slow, happens with other themes as well

All i can do to help you is check it out and try to make the site fast, i am sorry for this wish i could do something but rtmedia is not something we cant change or improve, depends on them

Again, please, share admin credentials, i’m online now and will do improvements at your sites

markob17
    Participant

I wanted to inform my slowdown issues seem to have went away. I am not sure if it was caused by load on my server today as I run another website on it and I am only using a VPS, or if it was fixed because I cleared the cache on cloudflare and wp super cache, and also disabled and re-enabled all plugins. I also upped the WordPress memory limit from 256 to 512M just in case.

tattoobooksonline
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
     Laura
     tattoobooksonline
    Participant
     Laura

Hello @tattoobooksonline , optimized your site from 6s to 3s
    As your godaddy wordpress managed hosting doesnt allows famous cache plugins, i installed:
    -ZenCache
    -WP-Optimize
    -Speed Booster Pack

Updated your .htaccess for gzip compression.
    Hope this helps, for more speed, you can deactivate rtmedia, if you dont need it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     tattoobooksonline
    Participant

Thank you Laura,
    How do I know if I need rtmedia?
    I am not familiar w/ the plugin – I thought it was a core component of Kleo theme?

Laura

Hello, its a plugin to upload photos and videos to user profile, i suggest to deactivate it as its slow recently

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

Laura,
    Thank you – I disabled rtmedia. I thought it was REQUIRED for KLEO!
    That speeds it up a lot.
    Thank you for your time.
    Please let me know if I can pay you something for your time over paypal?

tattoobooksonline
    Participant

Looks like w/ rtmedia disabled – it is about 1.08s load time!

Laura

Hello, glad it worked 🙂
    if you want to buy me a coffe my paypal is bkgumiho@gmail.com 🙂
    Thanks you

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Bugs & Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forgot your details?